Do you finish your omelets in the oven?

ally79

Veteran
Local time
4:14 PM
I have always had the misfortune of browning my omelets too much, but a chef taught me the trick to perfect omelets. After the egg sets add your filling, flip it onto the plate and slide the plate into the oven for about a minute. Your cheese melts perfectly and your omelet doesn't brown! :)

Oooo I really REALLY appreciate this tip!! Thanks for sharing. I never gave it a thought to finish it off in the oven but it sounds like it would come out perfect! Thanks again!

I finish mine off under the grill, as I don't like to flip them. Once the bottom is set, I pop it under the grill to finish off the cooking process. I actually like them a little bit brown, but I admit that I've never had a browned omelette in a hotel, they are always perfect - I love hearing about professional chefs' tips.

When I used to be able to have dairy products, we used to finish our omelettes under the grill to brown the cheese!

Now without the cheese, I simply fold the omelette in half when it is almost cooked (so some runny egg on the top left) and serve it immediately. Most of the runny egg continues to cook, but not all. However we have a good source of fresh eggs (never been near a shop and the ducks are free range - I know because we dog & duck sit for them from time to time!) so I know the eggs are very fresh and safe to be eaten raw if you wanted to.

I simply fold the omelette in half when it is almost cooked (so some runny egg on the top left) and serve it immediately. Most of the runny egg continues to cook, but not all. However we have a good source of fresh eggs (never been near a shop and the ducks are free range - I know because we dog & duck sit for them from time to time!) so I know the eggs are very fresh and safe to be eaten raw if you wanted to.

Oh my word, the thought of eating a runny egg makes me feel quite nauseous. I can only eat boiled eggs if they are almost hard boiled. I would love to enjoy dishes such as Eggs Benedict, but I can't because they just aren't the same with a hard egg, and I cannot eat an egg if it is any way still runny. It's not only the texture of it, but the taste - it's just awful. To me, the yolk of an egg tastes completely different hard than it does runny!

My boyfriend loves omelets and I always burn them. :( This seems like an amazing idea. The cheese gets a little icky... or something when it's cooked on the stove, so I can't wait to try this tomorrow morning. Thank you!

Depends on the omelet. A thin veggie and cheese must be cooked under medium-low heat to avoid burning (a must if butter is used instead of oil). However, when I go with two or more veggies, I preheat the oven at 400 before getting started. When the edges are dry, I place in oven for no more than 10 minutes.

The only tricks I use are to make sure you choose the right size pan for the amount of eggs you are cooking. Often times I see people trying to cook a 3 egg omelette in something like a 10" pan which is too small, resulting in an omelette that is too thick and doesn't set on top before the bottom becomes too brown. Two eggs will work just fine in a 12" or larger pan, they will cook faster and more evenly too and the omelette will be easier to fold over without breaking. The other trick is to simply put a lid on the pan while the eggs are cooking, over a medium low heat, and the pan and lid do all the work. No need to keep scraping up the omelette like you see on cooking shows, the steam under the lid will set the top of the eggs perfectly. In fact, just towards the end of cooking, I will toss in my toppings, such as cheese, so they can melt too. I would be a little careful with eggs in the microwave as they have a tendency to explode and splatter.

I do nearly the same thing. I put the omelette under the grill for a minute if I have put something like cheese, mushrooms and bacon in it. This has really made me fancy an omelette for lunch. I have not had one for about three years- no particular reason.

I don't do this because I actually prefer a bit of browning in my eggs. Sometimes if I want it a lot lighter and less brown, if just turn the heat way down and allow it to sit a bit longer than usual, but admittedly that's only because I don't have a large oven. If I did, I definitely would go for this tip and also probably roast a lot more. :)

Back
Top Bottom