Do you grow too much?

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
6:57 AM
There are many things that can be done to store excess produce from our gardens but fresh is really the best way to go. I have a bad habit of planting too much of one or two items. Sometimes it is because I put in too many plants and in other cases it is because the plants produced exceptionally well. When I go to the garden center I often pick up an extra tomato plant or cucumber plant just in case one gets eaten or dies. Often plants are sold in six packs but do I really need six cherry tomato plants?

Do your garden aspirations lead you to producing more than you can use or are you better at controlling your planting than I am?

Maybe instead of storing the excess you could just give some away to your friends & family? This way they get to enjoy fresh vegetables too and you won't have to think about what to do with all the cherry tomatoes you have.

I only plant from seeds, so often grew too much (don't have a veg plot in our new rental home). With a lot of plants that I grew (lettuce, carrots, kale, onions, beetroot) you can harvest them when much younger and use their leaves as spring greens etc. But as above, excess can always be given away and where I live and cycle/commute it is not uncommon to see a box at the side of the road in autumn either saying £1 for xyz or free or please a donation to charity. Very little goes to waste and certainly is never thrown.

That said a lot of veg if stored correctly will also last much longer than shops & supermarkets would have you believe and their are numerous ways of preserving veg (canning, pickling, freezing or dehydrating are a few examples).

We grow a lot of tomatoes and squash every summer. We give the rest away to family members or we swap with family and friends. My neighbors and I swap too. My neighbor lets us have as many avocados we want from his tree and in return I bake him some cake.

Even if I have an excess it works out because I participate in a wonderful program known as "Plant a Row For the Hungry". Since 1998 the Garden Writer's Association has been encouraging gardeners to plant an extra row for the hungry. Please make extra copies and distribute them to other gardeners, cooks, and friends!

I don't believe you can plant and grow to much of any vegetable or fruit. Granted, your plants may produce a whole lot more then you and your family can eat. There are tons of ways to store your fresh produce for later earrings or you can donate. Donating fresh produce to your local food bank or just giving away to friends, family and neighbors can help cut down food going to waste. Feed the hungry program would be worth looking into as well.

Back
Top Bottom