Do you have a favorite dish?

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
6:49 AM
I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I searched and couldn't find a similar topic.

Do you have a favorite dish you like to eat? I've always had one, which is oven roasted pork shoulder with potatoes. So simple, and so tasty if done right. My favorite is when it's done with a bit of orange in the sauce. When the pork is really tender and potatoes slightly crunchy and tender inside.

If we're talking candy, my favorite candy is hands down Kinder chocolate bars :laugh:

What is yours?

I don't have a single favorite dish - but I really do think the pork shoulder is the tastiest part of the pig or hog! I'll turn down bacon or any other cut for shoulder! Your favorite sounds wonderful.

One cut from shoulder I really really like is the "country style rib", which i don't think is found everywhere. Not even in my country. Even if there are bones they aren't rib meat - but they are smaller pieces which are good for a single person like myself. But with all that lovely shoulder flavor!

I love a good leg of lamb or goat, cooked Moroccan or Greek style. That's my favorite from lamb. Although the shank is quite good, too.

For desserts, I would say a good tiramisu. Something I want to learn how to cook. For simplicity, good fresh strawberries dipped in quality dark chocolate.

I like pizzas and pasta dishes and sandwiches, including burgers, and lamb, and chicken, and seafood, and salads, and turkey, and beef, and Mexican food, and Italian food, and Continental cuisine, and soups, and stews, and rice dishes, and eggs, and many desserts, and ice cream, and some candies, and pork, and lobster, and creole food, and cajun food, and wild food, and fresh water fish, and ...

Well, you get the idea.

Finally, a decent bacon buttie is the thing I could not do without.

Here's what I love about this forum: I saw this, and then looked into what this is. It's not the same as a bacon sandwich the way we would term it on this side of the pond. I'm intrigued.

Something you may be interested in (or maybe already knew) was that there was a study at Leeds University to determine the perfect version of this sandwich:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | West Yorkshire | Scientists' 'perfect' bacon butty

As for Favorite Dish, I would say it's either:
  • steak medium rare with sautéed mushrooms (as served at Texas Roadhouse a week ago):
o.jpg

• banh mi
img_1721-jpg-jpg.jpg

img_0897-jpg-jpg.jpg

Here's what I love about this forum: I saw this, and then looked into what this is. It's not the same as a bacon sandwich the way we would term it on this side of the pond. I'm intrigued.

Something you may be interested in (or maybe already knew) was that there was a study at Leeds University to determine the perfect version of this sandwich:

In Britain we have:

Bacon sandwich
Bacon buttie
Bacon bap
Bacon cob
Bacon roll
Bacon sarnie
Bacon barm
Bacon batch

Whatever you call them, everyone knows that the best ones are cooked in a van or trailer parked in a layby on a B road or somewhere in an industrial estate.
My personal favourite is from Bonza Buffet on the B4114 near Sapcote, run by an Australian couple, though how the hell a couple of Aussies ended up running a burger van in rural Leicestershire beats me.

In Britain we have:

Bacon sandwich
Bacon buttie
Bacon bap
Bacon cob
Bacon roll
Bacon sarnie
Bacon barm
Bacon batch

Whatever you call them, everyone knows that the best ones are cooked in a van or trailer parked in a layby on a B road or somewhere in an industrial estate.
My personal favourite is from Bonza Buffet on the B4114 near Sapcote, run by an Australian couple, though how the hell a couple of Aussies ended up running a burger van in rural Leicestershire beats me.
View attachment 60286
I love what I'll deem Britain's "layby culture." The best-fitting, most precise, most comfortable set of eye contacts I ever purchased was from a layby optometrist- he had his lab set up on a double-decker bus that he parked in laybys all around the country, so everyone could have convenient service.

The photo in that article is not how a bacon butty should look, IMHO. It has to be medium cut (or possibly thick cut if you prefer) white sandwich bread not a crusty roll or bap. Should look something like this:

1617351912067.png

I eat most foods as long as it don't contain elvers I hate them, my wife said how do you know you don't like elvers if you have not tried them, I tried them and I hate them.:speechless:

Never tried them either. I don't think I've ever even seen any for sale. Maybe its a regional thing?

Back
Top Bottom