Do you have a planned night off from cooking?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:42 AM
We all love cooking, but of course, even for the most cheerful of cooks, it can become a drudgery, night after night, week after week.

When looking at the days and weeks ahead, do you purposely build into your plan a night off from cooking?

Sometimes, it can take care of itself, like if you have plans to attend a movie or a show, you may turn that into a complete night out, with a meal included.

But for those weeks where you have no other plans, especially in the midst of our covid times, do you work in a night (or two) where you won’t be cooking, just to get a break?

I usually insist that Friday nights be a night off from the kitchen, although more often than not, instead of getting something out, it just turns into something easy to prepare, like pizza or eggs.

What about you all? For our professionals, I’m asking specifically about cooking at home.

Colleen and I faithfully have a get the hell out of the house date night at least once a week. Sometimes it's planned. Sometimes it's a spur of the moment decision.

There isn’t much to do around here during the week or decent places to eat out. It usually requires a trip out of town. So, not many regular breaks . Good restaurants are about an hour drive so by the time we go to one and drive home it isn’t really a break. Lol. And, then I complain that we could have have eaten as well at home for a fraction of the price.
Another issue over the last two years has been contact tracing due to the pandemic. We can’t risk comming in contact with covid because it could force us to isolate and have to close down

Last edited:
As a home cook, I don't schedule a night off, it just happens organically.
DH and I may be out and about and get hungry... "Ya wanna go to our Asian Bistro for linner?"
Also, like you said, if we have an event to go to, then we eat out.

No, pretty much not. Leftovers at home constitutes my break from cooking, and even then there is a minimal amount of cooking involved (leftover soup I will make garlic bread and sometimes salad, for leftover pasta sauce I have to cook pasta and make garlic bread, etc.) and then there are dishes to do. We used to go out about once a week pre-pandemic. We will probably venture to outdoor dining this summer and depending on how covid cases are around here, we might eventually dine inside somewhere. We did outdoor dining a few times over the past couple of years, but it stays too cold here most of the year to be able to do that. We also were trying to be careful to not be exposed to covid because MIL is immunocompromised, but now the in-laws go shopping and other places (masked) so apparently it's not as big of a concern to her anymore.

Night off?
Nah - that doesn´t happen in Caracas.
Over here, mind you, I get the entire week off!:bravo::bravo::bravo:
Then who is doing the cooking if you are off from cooking duty all week, your wife? Or are you just going out to eat every night?

Friday and Saturday nights are our usual dine-out (or delivery) nights. You would think weekdays because limited time to cook, but Monday - Thursday its actually easier to stick to a routine when we work from home. All bets are off if one of us goes into office and has a bad day.

When I was married, we had a date nite every week. That was our night off from cooking.

Choice of restaurants is not a problem where we lived (and I still live). There are hundreds, and many of them are good.

Before Covid, I would go to a restaurant with a bar from time-to-time, and eat at the bar. That was my "break" from cooking and cleaning.

CD

Back
Top Bottom