Do you have and Family Secret Recipes?

L_B

Veteran
Local time
9:24 AM
Do you have a recipe in your family that has been passed down through the generations? Maybe one that your family is known for but nobody else has the recipe and even if somebody asked you wouldn't share it with them.
I know quite a few families who do, whether it be meatballs, pasta dish, pies, etc.

Or perhaps you have a recipe that you and only you know what the ingredients are. It is one that you will never share with anybody ever.

My grandmother use to make these molasses cookies that were the best I had ever had. Every kid in the family to this day still talks about Gramma's cookies. She died when she was 92 and she baked them right up until about a month before she passed away. She never shared the recipe with any of us. She took it to her grave. Once she was gone so were her awesome Molasses cookies.

We have a family recipe for tuna casserole, but I am not sure what the ingredients are either. My grandma used to make it and my mom makes it now. Mom has a recipe written down but she has not shared it with me yet. I hope she gives it to me someday.

Reactions: L_B
I hope she does someday share it with you. There were so many awesome recipes that Mom and Dad use to make on a regular basis and sadly when they passed
away they took them with them. Most of them weren't written down just in their heads. I wish now I had taken the time to find out from them how they made so
may wonderful dishes. That is one regret that I do have.

My mom was the cook of the house and she never passed on any secrets, but I was quite happy to take a leaf out of her own book and be a half decent cook. The only secrets she has are the ones people share with her and she is happy to carry them to her grave.
So all the family cooking secrets are out in the open. Someone 'spilled the beans'...

We most certainly do! Our is a mashed potato dish that contains many other ingredients as well. It has been passed down many generations and most in my family still use it. It is what we make during family gatherings too!

We have a special recipe from my mother-in-law and in fact it is so special that even its name is unique. Lutong Usa is literally translated as venison dish - the way you cook venison. The main ingredient is beef that is tenderized in pineapple juice and 7-up. It is a unique dish that no one really knew how to cook and it's just fortunate that my husband was able to remember how to cook it. Ironically, we do not cook that on special occasions because that is exclusively for the family only.

no...we are an open source family XD
we like to share with friends
I can't undestand who don't want to tell...well maybe if you have a restaurant or something else...but if you cook only at home, what change for you if someone else can cook the same dishes you can???

My grandmother and mother had some Family Secret recipes which they both shared to us in the family. That is why we are lucky that way and now that they are already old we are the ones who tried to continue cooking the recipes we had inherited from them.

I have my great-grandmother's recipe for pineapple upside down cake.
It's one of my all-time favourites; it's never failed me and it's thrifty on ingredients like a lot of older recipes are.
Everyone I bake it for wants the recipe but that's one of the few that I actually keep secret!
My mom also has HER great-grandmother's recipe for Ukrainian kolach bread, which I hope to learn next time I visit home.
It's one of those foods I remember growing up with and I can't wait to be able to recreate it.

Back
Top Bottom