Do you have any pet peeves relating to the Christmas season?

Local time
4:34 AM
I see Christmas as a lovely time of year and I like most things about the season - the decorations, the beautiful lights, the music, the shopping, the family get-together and the different Christmas events that we attend. There are a few pet peeves that I have relating to the season, however. I usually like to receive my gifts before Christmas day, or on Christmas day. However, there are some people who would deliver gifts after Christmas day has passed. Although I have no problem with receiving these gifts, I prefer to have them under my tree to open on Christmas day. My other pet peeve would be receiving a gift that I do not particularly like, especially an item of clothing that is not my taste in colour or style, or a perfume that I do not like.

One other pet peeve I can think of is the long lines at the cashiers in the stores and in the supermarkets, that is why it is always best to shop early for the season. There are times, though, when a gift item may have been forgotten and we still end up in the last-minute rush.

So, what are your pet peeves, if any, related to the season?

I think it's often shopping related for me. I hate when places are super crowded, so it ends up being kind of stressful if I'm out shopping for last minute gifts when everyone else also has the same thing in mind! I guess that's where online shopping comes in handy. Also...I guess there's always that element of family get togethers which can be stressful! They can be fun, too - but a lot of planning, preparation - and I guess secretly we all have those family members that we're glad we only have to see once a year or thereabouts! :oops:

The one thing I dislike most about Christmas is that it has become too commercialize. People are too materialistic it seems. I like the way Christmas use to be back in the day. It wasn't about what was under your tree but who was around it. Christmas it a time to spend with family and friends. It is time to make memories. If you are religious it is s time to go to Christmas services, to celebrate the birth of Christ. It is a time to go Christmas Caroling and to enjoy the beautifully decorated places, It is a time to help the less fortunate. Christmas is a time to enjoy not to be stressed about the perfect gift. I love gifting others but as for me I couldn't care if I got any gifts at all. A simple "Merry Christmas" would do me just fine and a nice visit for a cup of tea and some Christmas treats.

Slightly off-topic, but in response to l_b's post, where she mentions going to Christmas Services.
Carried out of Midnight Mass, by the local undertaker one year & loaded into his vehicle.

A great leveller I've noticed is when there's a power failure. Most noticable in country areas, is that your neighbours check that you are ok, and you do the same to them. Neighbours often over a quarter mile away, but still they check.

Other than its existence, no.
They've tried banning it, but the court ruled against them......
"In 1990, the Solon, Ohio (a Cleveland suburb) school board banned all nativity and other Christmas scenes on any school property because they felt it violated the separation of church and state. They were challenged in court when outraged parents opposed them, feeling that Christmas was being stolen from their children and the community. The board lost the case! The citizenry had contended that Christmas was a worldwide tradition that was not part of, and transcended, religion. It was deemed to be secular—a part of virtually allcultures worldwide.

The court decision affirmed that Christmas has no Christian roots! However, the court’s opinion also noted that Bible reading and prayer obviously are associated with Christianity—a remarkable admission! The court concluded that Christmas-keeping and manger scenes could remain because they are not really part of either Christianity or religion—but prayer and Bible reading, which are, must remain excluded from schools!"

For me Christmas has always been about being second. It has always come first and anyone who is born during the Christmas week will know exactly what I mean. You don't even get decent birthday cards unless people have bought you one 2-3 months in advance because all the cards get taken off the shelves to make space for Christmas cards. Everything is Christmas, Christmas, Christmas and the idea that something else can exist during that week is beyond comprehension. You simply don't exist.

It is that bad that I don't bother with my birthday over Christmas now and actually celebrate it exactly 6months later in a certain week in June! I have a half birthday instead.

That's my pet peeve. Christmas exists and only it exists!

Other than its existence, no.
I'm not a big fan of Christmas. Never have been. I hate the bother of it all. I'm so relieved when the tree goes back in its box! The only good thing is that it means a new year is about to start and daylight lasts one minute longer each day (in Southern UK, at any rate) until its summer. I guess I'm Ms Scrooge... I do like the cooking though!

I always do my shopping months in advance because I can not stand the long queue when the holiday rush is in. I can not be in one place filled with busy shoppers this drives me crazy really. I want to be at peace whenever I go shop because this is an experience that I love and no busy shopper should ruin that experience. I do not blame then nor impose that they shop early

I'm not a big fan of Christmas. Never have been. I hate the bother of it all. I'm so relieved when the tree goes back in its box! The only good thing is that it means a new year is about to start and daylight lasts one minute longer each day (in Southern UK, at any rate) until its summer. I guess I'm Ms Scrooge... I do like the cooking though!

I enjoy Christmas but am happy when it is over, Once it is over I anxiously wait for the summer to arrive. I am not a winter person and there is nothing that I enjoy about it. I don't d cold very well.

I enjoy all the preparations for Christmas, like the decorating of the Christmas tree as well as decorating the house. I do not ever look forward to having to take down the decorations or the tree. The gifts usually remain under the tree until the season has passed. However, I tend to go with the flow. I enjoy the Christmas season when it is here, and when it has passed, I just accept it and look forward to a new year. We do not have winter here, but the weather is a lot cooler, so that is another element of the season that I like.

Reactions: L_B
A quick shopping trip to Kirkcaldy (10 minutes on the train) has left me with Christmas music overload. My senses and brain are now completely numb. However, there is a remedy and medication will be taken this evening...

PM210709.jpg

Christmas does not begin in November [or even October] It is a Christian festival which you either believe in and celebrate or don't as you choose but it is NOT a three month commercial frenzy of overspending, over eating and over drinking [ not to mention the incessant and seemingly never ending 'Christmas' TV that we are subjected to from about mid November onwards].

A quick shopping trip to Kirkcaldy (10 minutes on the train) has left me with Christmas music overload. My senses and brain are now completely numb. However, there is a remedy and medication will be taken this evening...

View attachment 1958
Yep - the shop assistants already have that bored dull look to them that yells "TOO MUCH CHRISTMAS MUSIC, I WILL MURDER THE NEXT PERSON WHO SAYS ISN'T CHRISTMAS NICE".

Christmas does not begin in November [or even October] It is a Christian festival which you either believe in and celebrate or don't as you choose but it is NOT a three month commercial frenzy of overspending, over eating and over drinking [ not to mention the incessant and seemingly never ending 'Christmas' TV that we are subjected to from about mid November onwards].
It was originally a pagan festival. Like the majority of pagan festivals it was 'taken over' by Christians in order to bring the non-believers on board! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom