Do you have someone to talk with that........

shares your interest in cooking?
Yes, somewhat.
There's my sister, but she's not a very good cook and she's notably unpleasant to talk to. She's either extremely grumpy or extremely, exhaustingly cheerful and excited, and neither of those extremes work for me.

My friend, though, we're the same age and like a lot of the same things, and we both like to cook. He does a lot of big dinners for groups of 50 or so, so it's always interesting to talk to him.

Other than DH and "sometimes" my daughter, there isn't anyone else. My best friend since the 3rd grade lives about 5 hours away and we talk on the phone about 1 or 2 times a week. She does not have a computer, lives by herself and does very little cooking. So, I can't discuss anything with her.

Not to my grade of cooking, my school friend is into curries so we talk about them, but that's his limit. As mg says the good cooks on here are who I ask things about, or answer if anyone wants to know something. My daughter is a very good baker. She cooks Japanese and Thai. She's above average. I'm making her a massamam paste up this week. And if I have time a green curry paste.

Russ

Oh, I should also mention the woman who cuts my hair. She's a culinary school graduate and ran a bakery for a while, though I assume the money is better in cutting hair, because that's what she does now.

Anyway, in addition to being formally-trained, she's also a serious gastronome, and the hour she spends cutting my hair, etc., all we really talk about is eating, drinking, and cooking.

I see her just once a month, though. I really look forward to our chats. Talking to her is kind of like talking to people here, because I can say something like, "...and then my brother put their cast iron skillet...in the dishwasher!" - and I don't have to explain why that's bad.

The woman who cut it before her, she was really nice, and she sort of cooked, but it was a lot of boxed stuff. One year, we were talking about Thanksgiving, and she said she was bringing the stuffing/dressing to her family get-together and that she was a little nervous, and without thinking, I said, "As long as it's not Stove Top, you'll be fine," and then she looked at me kind of strangely and said, "It is Stove Top...is there some kind of recall or something?"

Oh, I should also mention the woman who cuts my hair. She's a culinary school graduate and ran a bakery for a while, though I assume the money is better in cutting hair, because that's what she does now.

Anyway, in addition to being formally-trained, she's also a serious gastronome, and the hour she spends cutting my hair, etc., all we really talk about is eating, drinking, and cooking.

I see her just once a month, though. I really look forward to our chats. Talking to her is kind of like talking to people here, because I can say something like, "...and then my brother put their cast iron skillet...in the dishwasher!" - and I don't have to explain why that's bad.

The woman who cut it before her, she was really nice, and she sort of cooked, but it was a lot of boxed stuff. One year, we were talking about Thanksgiving, and she said she was bringing the stuffing/dressing to her family get-together and that she was a little nervous, and without thinking, I said, "As long as it's not Stove Top, you'll be fine," and then she looked at me kind of strangely and said, "It is Stove Top...is there some kind of recall or something?"
I want to post all 4 "likes" here, but we can't. Darn

Just my food forum friends.

Yeah me too, my husband likes my cooking but he doesn't know much about food so any conversation about it is usually very one sided and ends with him responding that he's just happy I cook for him.

But recently I seem to have made some friends who love to cook so who knows I might have a cooking chat buddy soon.

Sadly, no. Hubby is a good cook, but doesn't feel cookery. He can follow instructions to the letter and produce an excellent meal if the instructions are correct. But he doesn't taste test or check and doesn't know how to smell a spice and know if it will work with the meal. I find that frustrating. I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I can just smell a spice and know if it will work with the taste of the meal, improve it or work with it. He had to actually put it in and taste it to find out.

But that said there are some dishes he is better at that I am because he follows to the letter... So whilst I can talk shop with him, send him out for stranger ingredients than most folk can deal with, he can't talk shop back.

Here, most of the time, I can talk shop and people understand but I know I'm at the outer limits of what most people here are comfortable with. Things like my raw onion bread, my miso kale crisps, a new recipe I did today for a flavoring of kale crisps, my water kefir or cashew nut cheeses are there really just for me. I'm just glad sauerkraut and sourdough are subjects i can discuss here.

Well, thank goodness, at least I do have DH. There have been many a time when I have been out here talking to you guys, and he will be in the living room watching a cooking show. He keeps me informed of anything new going on, and if he sees something that looks good, he will make it, well, most of the time. (ok, some of the time) lol Of course I keep him up to date if any of you post something I think he will like. I like to show him the funny stuff you all say and post.

But...........not one of my neighbors.............

My wife is completely disinterested in cooking, only in eating. The only part of a cooking show I can get her to watch is the end, when they show the finished dish, then she says yay or nay as to whether she'd eat it.

Sadly, no. Hubby is a good cook, but doesn't feel cookery. He can follow instructions to the letter and produce an excellent meal if the instructions are correct. But he doesn't taste test or check and doesn't know how to smell a spice and know if it will work with the meal. I find that frustrating. I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I can just smell a spice and know if it will work with the taste of the meal, improve it or work with it. He had to actually put it in and taste it to find out.

But that said there are some dishes he is better at that I am because he follows to the letter... So whilst I can talk shop with him, send him out for stranger ingredients than most folk can deal with, he can't talk shop back.

Here, most of the time, I can talk shop and people understand but I know I'm at the outer limits of what most people here are comfortable with. Things like my raw onion bread, my miso kale crisps, a new recipe I did today for a flavoring of kale crisps, my water kefir or cashew nut cheeses are there really just for me. I'm just glad sauerkraut and sourdough are subjects i can discuss here.
I do know that sometimes we run into different foods here because of where we all live. I may not like everything, (as MG knows, lol) but I do find it educational. But I am also finding that we all seem to have a lot more in common than we used to think we did.

So SatNav, please keep sharing, and you too MG.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom