Do you have this in your gadget drawer?

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:22 AM
My sister gave this to me as a birthday gift several years ago.

herb-scissors.jpg

:love: it!

Wow ..

I do not have these " snippers " for chive ribbon herb or other sprigs however, I do have assorted sized kitchen scissors ..

Looks dandy for mincing herbs ..

I think some version of this gadget is in every one's gadget drawer. Very simple to super sophisticated.

opener.jpg

YEARS ago we visited the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, N.C. Amazing! One of my favorite exhibits was the pantry. Full of canned (tinned) vegetables. Much to my amusement I learned that can openers were not invented until 50 years after canned goods went into production. Prior to can openers a hammer and chisel was used to open cans. I think that may be an example of putting the cart before the horse.

11 years ago I thought that one of these would be great for herbs:
18114_1?$325$.jpg

And I was right! It makes chopping any herb really easy, the shaped board means your chopped herbs don't flick everywhere and it takes seconds to wash up afterwards. I still use it today :okay:

This Thread set me thinking; what exactly is a gadget? And what's the difference between a tool and a gadget?
Well, I've come up with a possible definition or description

A tool or utensil performs a function that cannot be done by anything else, at least not reasonably. For example, a knife is a tool, as is a sharpening steel and a can opener. Yes, I know you could sharpen a knife on the back step or (as mentioned) open a can of beans with a hammer & chisel, but for practical purposes a steel & can opener are essential

A gadget is a tool that is intended to make a particular job easier/faster/simpler, as shown by the herb snippers - if you didn't have them you could still do the job with a knife or ordinary scissors
Similarly with Mrs Dangermouse's herb chopper, or even a demilune, you could still do the job with a knife

Interestingly, although I have a kitchen that is pretty well stocked with tools, and lots of knives, I have very few gadgets.
Perhaps it's a 'Man Thing' (!) or the fact that I was a chef
It's noticeable that professional kitchens tend to only have simple but well made tools

My daughter gave me some herb snipping scissors, but I only used them a couple of times
I have a garlic crusher, but now I only cook for myself I just use the flat of a knife

This distinction is not a hard & fast rule though
You can poach eggs in a pan of water, but an egg poacher does make things easier, as does a boiled egg slicer, with the thin wires

So really, whether to buy & use a gadget or not is up to you

@zuludog

Good point. I have to confess that I am a gadget hoarder. Until a couple of years ago. I went on a de-clutter rampage in the kitchen. :ohmy: I got rid of lots of gadgets that I did not use. Also eliminated replicates. I had 8 pot holders and three pairs of oven mitts. I only have 2 hands. A set of Magnalite cook ware taking up space in the back corner of my pot cabinet. Have not used it in years. How many mixing bowls does one need? Not near as many as I had.

I just did a quick scan and see that I need to do another purge. 5 colanders. I can eliminate 3. 4 sifters. I only use 2. I still have more mixing bowls than I need but I am emotionally attached to a set of crockery bowls that I use the least. I need to find a way to use them in a decorative manner. That would justify keeping them and clear up space in the cabinet.

As for gadgets/tools That has been trimmed down. I do use my herb scissors. My mandolin is not used as frequently as it was before I got my Japanese chef knife. It is used for very thin, precise slicing. I have nerve damage in my right arm from a vehicle accident so my knife skill are not refined.

I still find myself drawn to the gadget aisle. An exercise in self control. NO MORE GADGETS!

This Thread set me thinking; what exactly is a gadget? And what's the difference between a tool and a gadget?
Well, I've come up with a possible definition or description

A tool or utensil performs a function that cannot be done by anything else, at least not reasonably. For example, a knife is a tool, as is a sharpening steel and a can opener. Yes, I know you could sharpen a knife on the back step or (as mentioned) open a can of beans with a hammer & chisel, but for practical purposes a steel & can opener are essential

A gadget is a tool that is intended to make a particular job easier/faster/simpler, as shown by the herb snippers - if you didn't have them you could still do the job with a knife or ordinary scissors
Similarly with Mrs Dangermouse's herb chopper, or even a demilune, you could still do the job with a knife

Interestingly, although I have a kitchen that is pretty well stocked with tools, and lots of knives, I have very few gadgets.
Perhaps it's a 'Man Thing' (!) or the fact that I was a chef
It's noticeable that professional kitchens tend to only have simple but well made tools

My daughter gave me some herb snipping scissors, but I only used them a couple of times
I have a garlic crusher, but now I only cook for myself I just use the flat of a knife

This distinction is not a hard & fast rule though
You can poach eggs in a pan of water, but an egg poacher does make things easier, as does a boiled egg slicer, with the thin wires

So really, whether to buy & use a gadget or not is up to you

I think you have defined 'gadget' perfectly!

blackmarblemortarpestleB.jpg

Bought THIS yesterday It's small & cheap, so I thought; what the hey! :wink:

Last edited:
Trip to Walmart this a.m. Out of cleaning supplies and needed dry goods. Also needed new drip plates for the range. Oh Oh :ohmy:
They are on the gadget aisle. I put my hands on at least a dozen items. Two items did make their way into my basket. :oops: A new silicon basting brush - My Honey set my old one too close to the heat on his grill. It kind of melted. A French rolling pin. I do have an American style rolling pin. My understanding is that the French style provides more control. My weakness.

Back
Top Bottom