Do you like Manwich?

Lupa06

Veteran
Local time
8:47 AM
Okay, so today I cooked up some Manwich for my hubby (as per his request), and joined him in eating one of these. After a couple of bites I could not stomach this any longer, it was too sweet and not quite flavorful at all. I felt like I was eating some amateur cooking.

My husband really enjoys these, I think it brings him back to some part of his child hood, but I can not even think about purchasing Manwich once again.

Does anyone have a better DIY recipe? Or any suggestions on how to make this tastier?

Manwich? I am just back from traveling and man am I exhausted. As exhausted as I am,I could not resist checking this thread and I had to Google Manwich as the name was completely foreign to me. I am not really here to help but I did stumble on a video which suggested it could convert haters. It talks about the Sloppy Joe sandwich and truth be told I'll have to revisit this when I am fully alert.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ko5EQtz_A

Reactions: L_B
I had honestly never heard of the term manwich before either! I just figured it was something a manly, meaty sandwich or something - and it turns out I was kind of right! From what I could discover online it's just a name for sloppy joes - like the video above that winterybella shared. I imagine if you just season it right then it would be a lot better - maybe it was just bland!

Can you explain what a manwich is please?
That image on the YouTube video looks positively vile to me.

From what I could find its just a brand name of a canned variety of sloppy joe.

Basically just a loose ground beef sandwich that is in a tomato based sauce with some seasonings! But yes the video doesn't look too appetizing at all...

From what I could find its just a brand name of a canned variety of sloppy joe.

Basically just a loose ground beef sandwich that is in a tomato based sauce with some seasonings! But yes the video doesn't look too appetizing at all...
glad you settled for another explanation because I had no idea what a sloppy joe was either!

SloppyJoe is a sandwich made of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings. It is served on a hamburger bun. It came about in the United States sometime in the 20th century. Manwich is just a canned version which already has all the spiced added. Manwich is a bit on the sweet side though. Sloopy Joe is much better when you make it yourself so you can adjust it to your liking. My kids use to really like it when they were younger. I haven't had it in years.

Here is a link to a recipe if anybody is interested in trying it:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24264/sloppy-joes-ii/

WOw, I haven't had manwich for years. I guess people must like it though because I always see it on the store shelves. I usually use some kind of store brand product if I make Sloppy Joe's or make some of my own. The homemade version of the mixture is the best in my opinion. It is cheaper and not that difficult to make.

Manwich? I am just back from traveling and man am I exhausted. As exhausted as I am,I could not resist checking this thread and I had to Google Manwich as the name was completely foreign to me. I am not really here to help but I did stumble on a video which suggested it could convert haters. It talks about the Sloppy Joe sandwich and truth be told I'll have to revisit this when I am fully alert.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ko5EQtz_A
Welcome back!!!! Yes a sandwich is really a sloppy joe. However, the canned stuff is just not that tasty, better to make your own from scratch.

SloppyJoe is a sandwich made of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings. It is served on a hamburger bun. It came about in the United States sometime in the 20th century. Manwich is just a canned version which already has all the spiced added. Manwich is a bit on the sweet side though. Sloopy Joe is much better when you make it yourself so you can adjust it to your liking. My kids use to really like it when they were younger. I haven't had it in years.

Here is a link to a recipe if anybody is interested in trying it:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24264/sloppy-joes-ii/

Agreed, Manwich is on the sweeter side and can be very off-putting due the sweetness. Sloppy joes is much tastier especially when made from scratch without all the added sugars and ketchup :)

I don't see how you eat it with out the content spiling out,a bowll of the content and some bread separate would be OK ,but a roll with wet mince spiling out not for me

Yuck. I don't like it either. I make my own "sloppy Joe" stuff by combining salsa and barbecue sauce to taste. It's even better if you have homemade salsa and homemade bbq sauce around.

I really prefer shredded or pulled pork with barbecue sauce over the sloppy Joe sandwich. Good with some nice, fresh, coleslaw. That's what we had last night.

Maybe I opted for the wrong image. It's really not very inviting to look at. Zyni, your dish sounds much more appealing and I am a fan of coleslaw as a side with most things.

Maybe I opted for the wrong image. It's really not very inviting to look at. Zyni, your dish sounds much more appealing and I am a fan of coleslaw as a side with most things.

I don't mind a good sloppy Joe. I'm just not a fan of the Manwich sauce, at least not right out of the can. Perhaps it can be "doctored up" to taste a bit better. I haven't tried. I just didn't care much for it so opted to experiment with own. Some people use chili sauce and bbq mixed together, but I prefer to use a chunky salsa. I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom