Do you like using Bouillon cubes?

nutmegprincess

Veteran
Local time
6:02 AM
My mom is always using bouillon cubes when she cooks especially when she is making soups. She always tells me that it adds to the flavor. When I cook, I do not like using these cubes because I am afraid that they add too much artificial seasoning. I feel dizzy whenever there is too much in what I am eating.

Cubes are fantastic!!! I use it to make gravy, I add it into certain dishes for flavour but I always only use the chicken cubes as they are not as hectic in salt and they do not alter the taste of your food too much. Enhancing the flavour of your food is what it is for and it tastes great.

I like these indeed. The taste is sharp and prominent, just the way I like it. Of course, there are some occasions or moods wherein I'd prefer to have more natural tasting food, but in general, I like the taste of these cubes anyway so I don't really mind using them. Maybe if I had to taste it everyday I'd get sick of it, though.

My mom uses bouillon cubes a lot when cooking. It always comes out really good. She uses it mostly when making rice. I love it. But for some reason when I try to cook with it it never comes out right and I cant figure out what is going wrong.

I don't use stock cubes, but do use stock 'powder' but only a specific one which is rather nice.

Marigold Swiss Veg. Bouillon Green Family* - I only like the Green one, i.e. the one in the green tub!

*ingredients are Sea Salt, Hydrolised Vegetable Protein, Potato Starch, Palm Oil**, Vegetable 8.0% (Celery, Onions, Carrots, Leeks), Lactose, Spices (Turmeric, White Pepper, Garlic, Mace, Nutmeg), Parsley, Lovage, **sourced from sustainable plantations

Last edited:
I try to avoid using these because they are an obvious indication that the food was not entirely made from scratch. To me, I associate bouillon cubes with those cheaper dried soup mixes in pouches, or some cheap hamburger helper type kits. There is actually a soup based called Better Than Bouillon which is much better than the powdered or cubed varieties. The first ingredient on their labels is actual chicken, and there is no MSG in it (though there are compounds similar to MSG in it). Taste wise it's definitely as the name states, better than the powdered stuff, but not quite as good as the boxed stuff like Progresso. It's also quite cost effective too as one jar of it makes the equivalent of 9 cartons of chicken stock, so it's about 1/9th the price of what you are paying for the boxed varieties.

It's pretty versatile what you can do with it too - I rub the beef base on roasts when roasting them, and similarly sometimes rub whole chickens with the chicken base before roasting them for added color and flavor. You can even toss roasted vegetables with it.

I use them.

In fact, I also use beef base, chicken base, stock & broth, as well as beef consume. :wink: :hungry:

1 bullion cube added to one cup of hot water is equal to one cup of stock or broth. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom