Do you make your own pastry?

Do you make your own pastry and if so what types of pastry have you made?
Pastry dough for pies, fruit or otherwise, yes. Puff pastry, I never have and I doubt if I ever will, because of the effort involved versus the relative quality of the pre-made puff pastry sheets/cups.

Puff pastry, I never have and I doubt if I ever will, because of the effort involved versus the relative quality of the pre-made puff pastry sheets/cups.

Yeah - a lot of Chefs recommend buying it because the product is so good. But I have made it and do make it sometimes. Its really not very difficult - I wouldn't say its an 'effort'. You roll it and put it back in the fridge, repeat etc. Its just a bit long winded. The actual work involved is not very much if you happen to be at home anyway.

I make pastry nearly every time we have a quiche, pie or tart. In fact, made the pastry for the quiche we had last week. I also have made puff pastry with and without yeast, as well as pate choux.

I used to make short crust pastry and have made gluten free pastry with some success but I do buy it now as the ready made gluten free pastry is good and without the work. We rarely have pastry though. Usually just at Christmas.

Same as medtran, I make my own for quiche because my next door neighbour made the best I ever had. I asked her and I have the complete recipe in hand written form, it has pastry recipe in it. Now I make a pretty dam good quiche. Sausy rolls and pies etc I use store bought frozen sheets.

Russ

I make both sweet shortcrust and shortcrust myself. I guess I'll add pie pastry to that as well, the one with boiling water.
I don't make my own filo or my own puff because well phyllo is such as hassle to get so thin and even by hand and puff needs to be dairy free for me and whilst I have never tried making my own dairy free puff pastry, there are plenty of decent versions of dairy free puff pastry, fresh and frozen both here in Australia and in the UK - most people don't even realise that Jus Rol is mostly dairy free (as in most of their range)

puff needs to be dairy free for me and whilst I have never tried making my own dairy free puff pastry,

I did make some dairy free and croissants too. There is a post about the croissants somewhere. The only fat available here which does the trick is Tomor. It has to have as near 100% fat content as possible from memory - and most vegetable fats aren't.

I did make some dairy free and croissants too. There is a post about the croissants somewhere. The only fat available here which does the trick is Tomor. It has to have as near 100% fat content as possible from memory - and most vegetable fats aren't.
I'll have to see what the hard coconut oil stick blocks are here. They are similar to Trex but much harder and only coconut oil but obviously processed somehow -I'll have a peep in the fridge, we have some.

I'll have to see what the hard coconut oil stick blocks are here. They are similar to Trex but much harder and only coconut oil but obviously processed somehow -I'll have a peep in the fridge, we have some.

I don't know for sure but I don't think it works - something to do with melting points?

Back
Top Bottom