Do You Make Your Own Salad Dressings?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:33 PM
Since salad dressings are pretty easy, I'm going to assume the answers will mainly be "yes," but I thought I'd ask.

I definitely make my own close to 100% of the time. At the moment, I don't think there's a bottle of store-bought dressing in the house.

My favorite is a creamy peppercorn, made with mayo, sour cream (or creme fraiche), garlic, fresh herbs, salt and a lot of pepper, and milk or buttermilk. I also make that a little thicker and use it as a dip.

After that, I also make an Italian type dressing, with vinegar and oil, dried basil and oregano, dried onion, garlic, and sugar and salt.

Next, I'll sometimes just mix a little oil and vinegar with some shallot or garlic, honey or sugar, salt and pepper, and mayo or mustard to bind it together.

I have one of those Wishbone Dressing bottles for mixing you're own dressings, and a Pampered Chef plunger container with recipes and markings for common dressings on the side, though most of the time, I just grab an old jam jar and shake it up in that.

How about you?

Yes
Most are simple - honey mustard is one G likes.
Variations of oil and vinegar with herbs, usually with mustard. The vinegar may be plain, or wine vinegar or Balsamic. Depends on the mood.
I also make a blue cheese dressing that is wonderful on a salad or on a steak or fish. A lovely dip.
I use a pint canning jar to make salad dressing. Put everything in the jar and shake, shake, shake.

My wife has the Paul Newman type dressings, balsamic etc. me, I'm old fashioned, I make the same dressing for my salads the way my mum taught me.
My salads are iceberg lettuce sliced eggs tomatoes spring onions. Grated cheese.
Dressing is condensed milk, sugar malt vinegar pepper and mustard. morning glory says the addition of sugar would be too sweet, it isn't, vinegar balances it I think.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to make my own now that my salt intake is limited. Store salad dressing seem to all be loaded with Sodium.

I would love to figure out a low sodium ranch dressing.

CD

I really need to make my own now that my salt intake is limited. Store salad dressing seem to all be loaded with Sodium.

I would love to figure out a low sodium ranch dressing.

CD
You know, I wonder if using the peppercorn dressing I mentioned earlier would work, with the addition of a fair amount of fresh dill?

I don't know how much sodium is in commercial mayo and sour cream, but that's easy enough to do at home, I think.

Ciao,
Si I make own. I have many different bottle herb infuse Olive oil, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Basilico Garlic etc. Then I use wine vinegars an Balsamic, various mustards. Pepper corns capers. Lemons, Orange, Pomegranate an Limes. The list go on.
I agree premade shop dressing no all good some OK but most no, they either to sweet or salt. To be true I do not think can beat home made anything. Many friend an neighbour as why I make every thing at dinner party Ray say because we know what is in it. I look once at ingredient on bottle of dressing an it look as chemistry set!
Various herb butter for types off fish, Mayonnaise very easy make, an many different one. Ray love my Mayonnaise I make with roast red pepper that I make pureed. As I say before I have lot of Garlic soak in Balsamic, I always use this.

Sarana x

It wouldn't occur to me not to make my own. I note you use mayonnaise TastyReuben. Now that is a ready made dressing (unless you make your own). :whistling:

I use plain yoghurt or Keffir yoghurt a lot in salad dressings - it gives a wonderful creamy consistency, a delicious tang and saves a shed load of calories, compared to mayonnaise.

The only shop bought dressing I have is Salad Cream for which I have a secret liking, occasionally.

We don't use salad dressings much. Side salad's usually get a drizzle of olive oil and Balsamic vinegar, and salt & pepper. The only dressing we have regularly is a Caesar, which my wife makes. I can't remember ever buying a ready made salad dressing unless you class mayo as a salad dressing.

I mostly make my own dressings - usually just a simple mustard or balsamic vinaigrette. If I'm feeling lazy then I'll just toss lettuce in a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper and drizzle with a store-bought balsamic glaze.

We do have a bottle of dressing in the fridge left over from our last holiday (caesar I think) ....when we're away in the motorhome I do use some convenience foods because they save on carrying lots of ingredients (limited storage) and of course saving on washing up is also a consideration :wink:

Back
Top Bottom