Do you make your own sausages?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
9:59 AM
My uncle just got a new sausage machine and he's super excited to try it out. It got me wondering if homemade sausages were actually any better than store-bought? Is it actually worth the effort?

Homemade sausage is very much worth the effort, and nothing in the store will even compare to it once you have tried it. My fiance's family has roots in Germany and so they get together each year to make a huge batch of German sausage, like hundreds of pounds of the stuff! Once it is done, they distribute it amongst all of the family members and we have sausage to eat for an entire year. It is very good!

I'd say it's definitely worth the effort. After all, you get to choose exactly what goes into the sausages and they won't be full of artificial nasties. You can experiment with all sorts of flavours and meats too. I've never made my own but have tried the handmade ones from the butcher and they are far superior to store bought bangers.

I've never tried it but I've always had the desire. I think the only think stopping me is that I know if I enjoy it I'm going to end up purchasing more gadgets I don't need for anything else BUT sausage making.

getting your mixes is vital ,its a skill,if you have a supply of cheaper off cuts of meat you can mince, they are great ,
I'm lucky if i have a sausage idea my butcher gets given the flavourings and the idea and off he goes ,i just have to buy 3kilos,
I've done venison red wine and juniper,pork apple and sage ,chicken,basil and lemon grass to name a few

Homemade sausage is very much worth the effort, and nothing in the store will even compare to it once you have tried it. My fiance's family has roots in Germany and so they get together each year to make a huge batch of German sausage, like hundreds of pounds of the stuff! Once it is done, they distribute it amongst all of the family members and we have sausage to eat for an entire year. It is very good!

Ahh yes, Germans do love their sausages. When I was in Berlin, they had these little hotdog cart vendors that apparently didn't have to pay the vendor fee because their "store" never touches the ground. Really cool and yummy hotdogs.
What's a good sausage recipe that's easy for beginners would you say? I mean just straight up pork and fat, but what's a good ratio?

For several years now I have tried to talk my fiance into opening up a food cart or truck so that we can sell his family sausage, it is that good. My theory is that we would make a lot of money if we parked outside of a construction site or a bar on a weekend night. There are a lot of food safety issues that we would have to deal with to get a license and that is really the only reason we have not done it.

Yes we have. Actually it just a ground pork, black pepper, garlic and some special spice. This is our local sausage. We some used plastic as pack but most of the time we used pork intestines carefully clean and cook.

Not really, I will mix ground turkey and ground beef together for a nice pattie.

Never tried it, and I am a bit skeptical. Mainly because I can get good quality ones from the store over here. I'm sure that SOMEONE can make better stuff at home but not too sure if I will, so I choose not to spend the time and money on that but rather buy what I can get from the store.

Bought a Moulinex sausage maker (multi use not just sausage) of eBay for £1.54. I thought I would give sausage making a go but after reading Confucius's views I decided not to. He said "sausages are Burger trapped in a skin release them"! So I only make burgers now.
A game keepers wife borrowed it off me to make game burgers (superb). Took forever to give it back...kept giving me burgers instead. Wish she had never given it me back!!​

I made breakfast sausage once. I made it in patties as I didn't have casings handy and my husband said it was good. Then again, he will eat anything. The texture was crumbly like a beef patty. The sausage didn't have the dense, chewy goodness of sausage. I probably won't try it again.

The best sausage I ever tasted I purchased in a convenience store in a train station in Plymouth. I bought a sausage sandwich because I'd had no breakfast and I couldn't believe how good it was. From a train station convenience store. The English can really make a good sausage. I can't find sausage here anywhere near as good. Kudos, Brits!

Back
Top Bottom