Do you prefer a whisk or a mixer?

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
5:40 PM
Are you more likely to just grab your trust whisk or do you tend to pull out the hand mixer for most mixing jobs? I've always been one to grab the whisk, until recently. I needed a new one and just couldn't remember to pick one up, so I was using the mixer more often. I did notice that many things were much smoother. I should probably user the mixer more often.

I tend to use the hand whisk for jobs that need only a quick rough whisking. Anything that needs a good thorough whisk such as egg whites, then the electric whisk (balloon whisk on the kenwood chef mixer) comes out. If I need something pureeing though, then the liquidizer comes out (so smoothies, or anything that needs blending).

To me they both have their uses ,a mixer has its uses and a hand electric has its advantages ,any bowel can be used or can be used over a Bain Marie and. Hick to grab

I tend to use the hand whisk for jobs that need only a quick rough whisking. Anything that needs a good thorough whisk such as egg whites, then the electric whisk (balloon whisk on the kenwood chef mixer) comes out. If I need something pureeing though, then the liquidizer comes out (so smoothies, or anything that needs blending).

That's very much my feeling towards which I'll use - it depends on the job at hand. I use a mixer for heavier duty mixing, but if it's just something that needs a light amount of mixing then a whisk tends to get the job done just fine.

There is certain tasks that I would only use a hand balloon whisk,where I use a certain whisk pattern and require to control this mix with feeling

I feel the same, it depends on the job. In some cases, such as corn muffin or brownie mix, where the ingredients just need to be combined/stirred, I actually use a wooden spoon. I use a fork or whisk for combining eggs, and will often use a hand mixer for the others, since it's easier on my hands/wrists.

They both have their use. There are some things that require a mixer and a whisk just won't do.
I prefer my whisk though and I use it whenever possible. It all depends on what I am making.

I might say neither. It's only recently I pulled out a whisk to see what it would feel like because everyone was talking about it. My forks always worked well for me. Then I started baking and pulled out a hand mixer for all jobs. I am going to have to try to use the appropriate utensils and see if the end results change even though I felt my end results were fine.

A mixer wins handa down for me. I tend to have weak wrists, so a mixer is a godsend. And it's faster than a whisk as well.

Whilst using a whisk reminds me of my childhood baking with my parents and grandparents, I find that I achieve a much smoother consistency when I use my mixer.

I tend to go for the whisk if I'm worried about over-mixing. It's easier to stop at 'just combined' if I can see exactly what I'm doing. That said, for creaming butter and sugar or whipping cream or frosting I always use a mixer. I can never get the proper light, smooth texture if I try to do it by hand.

I'm not weak, but I my issue is that I'm just uncoordinated, and cannot get a fast and fluid hand movement to whisk stuff quickly by hand, so for things such as trying to make whipped cream from scratch, I generally prefer to use an electric mixer for that. But for mixing things such as cookie dough or pancake batter, I will just stick with a spoon or a whisk - since pulling out an electric mixer is kind of overkill, plus you have all the cleanup to deal with.

Plus electric mixers can send flour flying everywhere, even on the lowest setting. In fact, I bought my folks a rather nice one several years ago and didn't realize how high powered the motor in it actually was and made a huge mess in their kitchen when I tried it out for the first time to show them how it worked, lol.

I prefer manual options for any cooking or preparation procedures. There is something therapeutic about beating, chopping and pounding away at inanimate objects. Much better than, say, head-butting a wall.

Back
Top Bottom