Do you prefer dry rub or sauce on your barbecue meat?

Do you prefer dry rub or sauce on your barbecue meat?

• Total voters

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
11:06 AM
I have eaten both - barbecue meat cooked with dry rub and barbecue meat with sauce. To me, the latter is the best. There's something about the stickiness and extra layer of wetness that I enjoy on a piece of chicken or rib. Some people complain that a wet sauce masks the flavor of the meat, but I don't agree.

Orange_Barbecued_Ribs1.jpg

When ever we are planning to have barbecue at home or for family picnic and outing, we always prepare our homemade barbecue sauce and marinate the meat either pork or chicken on it overnight in the refrigerator for better absorption of taste. Then the next day during grilling time we brush the meat many times with the marinated sauce until it is cooked. And this make a truly delicious barbecue.

I like both dry rub and sauce because this is much like your every day meal. You wouldn't like to server the same soup on a daily basis nor the same main course.

Similarly, I like to make a variation when I have barbecue at home. Even though, I like my meat with sauce, but not that much that mask the barbecue flavor, of course.

If I had to choose, I would go with the dry rub. But honestly, I like my meat cooked with a dry rub and the sauce served warm on the side to dip it in. It's too messy to eat when the sauce it brushed on the meat, plus the sauce tends to burn and taste bad if it's cooked too much. The dry rubs penetrate the meat more and flavor it more evenly. Most of the time when I've had ribs that were sauced, the meat has no flavor and all the flavor is on the surface in the sauce.

Even with pulled pork, I prefer the meat "dry" with a little sauce added on top just before I put the sandwich together.

I also prefer sauce for barbecue meat. I don`t really like meat of any kind to be dry and barbecue meat is no different. Besides, you can create so many great sauce combinations to prepare your meat with before you barbecue, that it would be a waste not to use them.

Back
Top Bottom