Do you substitute food and ingredients for health reasons?

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
9:04 AM
I am always omitting ingredients, especially unhealthy fatty ones, or substituting them for something else. I also do this with parts of meals. An example is today we are having "super nachos", which is basically tortilla chips with hamburger, nacho sauce, veggies and cheese. A healthier option for me is to use small corn tortillas, and bake them in the oven. I won't eat the hamburger, but use fat free refried beans. The nacho cheese can be replaced with fat free sour cream. Of course, I drench it in hot sauce for flavor. Do you make any changes for a healthier lifestyle?

I probably should to be honest. However, I can't bring myself to eat alternatives when I've been eating the same thing for so long it would seem weird. However lately I've been messing around with this idea, substituting fat free dressings and high-in-nutrients but low-calorie intakes. I haven't changed meats to healthier meats though, or toppings (pizzas or otherwise). I probably should look into doing this. I'm not exactly a picture of health, being overweight myself, but my momma always told me, "Never trust a skinny chef."

However, healthier isn't necessarily bad. I've had some alternatives and even Vegan style dishes that are pretty damn good. Couldn't even tell if they didn't tell you indepth that they changed out certain ingredients.

Shimus, I want to get my hands on those vegan style dishes where you can't tell the difference. Guess I should head back to that section and see what I can find. I don't know your age and I am not even sure age matters, but I would encourage you to keep looking for those healthier substitutes. I have "messed" around with the low fat free dressings and other stuff and I am yet to find one that I am COMPLETELY happy with. That said, I am not going to stop looking because I know my life might depend upon it. I hate the truthfulness of that statement. I wish I could just eat without having to "worry bout a ting".

For Vegan recipes, I'd look no further than SatNavSaysStraightOn here on the forums. She seems to have those dishes on lock. My friend tried her chocolate bean brownie recipe and man, if you didn't know any better it still tastes wonderful and has you asking for seconds. I'm not an expert in this manner though, so I can't say I fully understand the scope of what goes on to make these dishes. But that is your best bet.

I am a health freak to be honest, I am constantly looking to substitute anything and everything for something healthier. I suppose this also comes from my obsession with my weight, I am terrified of being fat and at the slightest feeling that I am heading that way I always over do the substituting! With that said, it really is easy in a sense for me because I am lactose intolerant so things like your cheeses, creams and the likes I don't touch. In regards to delicious vegan recipes I agree with Shimus, look for SatNav; she seems to have done her research very well and have a lot of good advice! Puts me to shame really because I am a vegan and have been for a pretty long time!

I substitute ingredients for taste, cost and availalability, as well as for health reasons. Generally I adapt recipes to be meat-free and dairy-free. I try to avoid unrefined sugars and anything containing too much salt or artificial ingredients.

This might appear restrictive, but really it's not. I simply prefer eating freshly cooked vegetable dishes and choose not to eat meat-based meals.

I couldn't live without my red meat, to be honest. I don't care if it's killing me or not, the taste is worth the pain. But each person has their own preferences, and I can't say any one viewpoint is wrong or right. I would prefer to eat fresh all the time too, but most of our produce around here is frozen in this type of weather (deep winter) and the fresh produce tastes funky, so we go to canned goods and pre-packaged until spring and summer when I can start planting again.

I know my health is going to suffer, but I need to just find healthier ways to prepare the meat. Not get rid of it all together.

I'm underweight and can't seem to gain so I tend to cut out additives and processed foods rather than fat. However, at the age of 38, I've started to be more careful about cholesterol so I try and choose food that contains the "good" fats.

Back
Top Bottom