Do you take notes on your cookbooks?

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
6:13 PM
I am incredibly nit-picky with my "regular", reading books. I keep them in pristine condition and if you do something like dog ear a book I lend you will never ever again borrow a book from me in this life or any lifetime after this one. But cookbooks are different. I like to write in them, and dog ear them, and smear them with oil and butter and various unidentifiable stains while I subject to different kinds of abuse while cooking with them. To me it feels they are "lived", and that's how they should be.

And you? Do you "live" your cookbooks, or do you keep them neat and tidy?

(By the way no cookbook of mine ever got dirty to the point of smelling, sadly because I cook more from online recipes than cookbooks 😭 )

Reactions: mjd
Absolutely! It's the only way I know that I've made something and whether I liked it or not. :)

Like you, I keep my just-for-reading books pristine. My cookbooks and recipe cards have all kinds of notes and ratings in them. Sadly, I recently went through a divorce and all my books, cards and notes are gone. I have been trying to reconstruct them from memory but it's impossible to remember information collected over decades.

I hope to be able to put enough together to pass onto my children someday. Who knows? Maybe I'll create some new tried-n-trues for them!

Like you, I keep my just-for-reading books pristine. My cookbooks and recipe cards have all kinds of notes and ratings in them. Sadly, I recently went through a divorce and all my books, cards and notes are gone. I have been trying to reconstruct them from memory but it's impossible to remember information collected over decades.

I hope to be able to put enough together to pass onto my children someday. Who knows? Maybe I'll create some new tried-n-trues for them!

So sorry to hear about your divorce. This is a chance to build a new library of the recipes you like to cook, and pass them on to the people you love.

So sorry to hear about your divorce. This is a chance to build a new library of the recipes you like to cook, and pass them on to the people you love.

Thanks. I hope to do that. Healing a bit more each passing day! And, my magic ingredient "love" will be in anything new I create for them. ;-)

Blimey! That is terrible. If they are yours you should have them. I hope your ex didn't destroy them.

Unfortunately, my ex kept (and/or destroyed, I don't really know) everything I've owned since we met almost thirty years ago. Fortunately, I had taken some photos of our children to be framed so they weren't in our house. All is forgiven now (yes that was hard) and I'm rebuilding. If nothing else, I'm a survivor!

I just buy them. When I think I got enough of them. I stop. Right now, I think I got enough of them.

Back
Top Bottom