Do You Think Cooking Requires Good Mathematics And Chemistry?

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
5:54 AM
How do you make use of the application of mathematics and chemistry in your daily cooking?..Do you just estimate or you always make use of the measuring cups and spoons for proper measurement of your ingredients? How long do you cook or heat your food which certainly had a chemical reaction to the foods that you are cooking? Do you think cooking requires good mathematics and chemistry?

What are your other thoughts about this principle when it comes to cooking?

Last edited:
If it calls for maths and chemistry, I fail. Yet, I am considered quite a decent cook around here, one of the best and I say that with some modesty. Still, I never measure anything when I am cooking so I don't know what to make of that. If you are talking about baking I always call that a science as measurements make all the difference from my observation and that is why I don't think I am the greatest baker just yet.

I simply use the required measurements as a guide for the recipe. When I am making a new recipe I may follow it exactly and then adjust it the next time to my liking. If it did require chemistry I would probably fail but I think I do alright. I guess you do use a certain amount math though if you are making a recipe less or more then the original recipe calls for.

I think definitely when it comes to baking, it's more of a science. You know - ratios and all that have to be right, or your cake won't do what it's supposed to. I think it's a little easier outside the baking world - I feel more like an artist when it comes to cooking our dinners and things like that. There's just more flexibility. Add a bit of this, a bit of that, and as long as it tastes good you're golden!

I am sure I said this somewhere before but for years I stayed away from baking because I had a fail with a cake that had uncooked lines. I also remember a friend bring a cake to a function that was so bad, I swore baking was never going to for me. It sort of scared me as it seemed like everything had to be precise, everything down to where you put the pan in the oven. What was worse is that you could never pull it out and fix cooking.

The question reminds me of that favourite of university lecturers, "What is art?" If you want to keep a group of bolshie students occupied for a couple of hours, it's a good one. I speak from experience, having been one of those bolshie students.

As for this particular question, I lean towards cooking being more along the lines of free-form jazz. I prefer not to bring too much science into it.

Back
Top Bottom