Do you think Teflon or other Non Stick Pans are Safe

never-burn stockpot.png 2.jpg

My new 7-qt Never-Burn Pot (smallest one on the right) could easily become damaged If used with high heat, if allowed to preheat or if any sautéing is done in it.
As long as the burner is kept at low to medium, it is safe to use. The silicone oil that's in the hermetically sealed chamber in the bottom of the pot needs time to get up to temp and cook the food. Can't rush things with THIS pot! For those who don't have patience with it, then they shouldn't get one!

I'm told that if it is allowed to get too hot, that the bottom would bulge out so badly that it can't be used any more! This is an astronomically expensive pot!! The words; "CAUTION; HIGH HEAT WILL DAMAGE THIS POT!" are permanently inscribed inside on the bottom of the pot. To warm anyone who plans to cook something in it! :ohmy: :stop:

I think you should listen to your husband and toss it. I love quality stainless cookware and it's always my first choice, though I do agree there are some advantages for non-stick when it comes to certain foods. I think you should try a ceramic coated pan and say goodbye to all other non-stick cookware. In the end you have to think of what is best for your health.

About 90% of aluminium cookware sold is non stick, so if they were dangerous i think we would have seen the results of their effects on a large scale by now.

I really think there is so much else to worry about in the world it is not worth wasting your energy on this. We are told there are dangers with everything, it's impossible to avoid every potential pitfall in life.
\

I hear what your saying and can relate, but then again, there are a lot of diseases and sicknesses that older people get, that who knows what contributed their manifestation. By the time your old it's kind of too late, and it's hard to pin point what you did (if anything) to bring something on. Maybe there is no direct correlation between one thing and cancer, for example, but maybe a huge mix of carcinogens over one's lifetime can be to blame. Who knows.

When your talking about your future health, quality of life and longevity, I think it is something worth thinking about.

I'm told that if it is allowed to get too hot, that the bottom would bulge out so badly that it can't be used any more! This is an astronomically expensive pot!! The words; "CAUTION; HIGH HEAT WILL DAMAGE THIS POT!" are permanently inscribed inside on the bottom of the pot. To warm anyone who plans to cook something in it!:ohmy: :stop:

I don't want to laugh, but this is "funny" and then you say the pot is "astronomically" expensive with those cautionary words PERMANENTLY inscribed. The pot will go but the words will remain??:laugh::roflmao:

On a more serious note, if you had to listen to everything that is put out there, we'd end up eating grass. I often don't even know when to throw something out anymore. The teflon pans though are somewhat like disposable if you stop and think about it and when it comes to the overheating, because I am mostly rushing, this happens a lot with me.

Well, with an ordinary pot, you can preheat it, sautee in it and turn the burner up high. But even when the pot is over a very low heat, the food could & will stick to the bottom of it. It may not burn at this point, but it could still stick to the bottom! And it has happened with me!

As long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions & don't use any metal utensils with it, there should not be any problems.
I have a Giada omelet pan that has a non-stick coating. I only use a silicone spatula or a wooden utensil with it. :wink:

Last edited:
I use cast iron as much as I possibly can. A pain in the rear to keep clean & pristine but well worth the taste when compared with non-stick pans. Goes to show the effort is not for not. Now if only someone can Frankenstein's monster a non-stick with a cast iron. I'd be a very happy owner.

Even cast iron cookware was once considered to be a cancer-causing issue.
This was back in the late '60s to the '80s. :eek:

On a more serious note, if you had to listen to everything that is put out there, we'd end up eating grass. I often don't even know when to throw something out anymore. The teflon pans though are somewhat like disposable if you stop and think about it and when it comes to the overheating, because I am mostly rushing, this happens a lot with me.

That's so true, everything we cook and the all the equipment we use to cook it in has been accused of causing cancer at some point. It's difficult to know what to believe.

On a more serious note, if you had to listen to everything that is put out there, we'd end up eating grass.

And then even the grass wouldn't be good for you because it would be full of pesticides!

I agree it's hard to know what to believe. But I take most caution with man made materials, chemicals, etc., I know they aren't from nature so feel much more cautious towards them, versus some plain old chicken fat for example.

I don't want to laugh, but this is "funny" and then you say the pot is "astronomically" expensive with those cautionary words PERMANENTLY inscribed. The pot will go but the words will remain??:laugh::roflmao:

That is so true!!
It is almost like they spend a lifetime of years sitting behind their desks, thinking of stuff to lay the badmouth on, confusing consumers, while at the same time, scaring them half to death on what to use, what not to use, what to eat, what not to eat!!! This has got to stop!! :mad: :stop:

Shermie and Dina00, isn't it all the truth. So what do you do? Make the best decision based on what we "know" and hope for the best. This morning I was preparing some eggs in my teflon frying pan and as usual, I am running late and rushing around and then the pan is overheating without the oil. This time I am thinking just now the pan will be no good because I have damaged the bottom etc etc etc.

Yes it is, you're so right!

Let the pan cool down a bit, the next time that happens, & see.
I've overheated a nonstick pan many times, and it seems to chug right along!
Let's face it, you're going to have to overheat pans at times in order to get them screaming hot, such as for stir-frying, browning and searing a pot roast and other things.

My Power Pressure Cooker has a internal nonstick pot, and last week, I had to get it screaming hot in order to brown the pot roast that I did in it. I don't worry about it. What are you supposed to do, throw away a pot or pan when that happens? Don't think so! To do that, a person has to bang his on a wall and just go stir crazy! :banghead: :stop:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom