Do you trim the excess chicken skin before frying chicken thighs?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:17 PM
I trimmed the excess skin for tonight's fried chicken. It is marinating in buttermilk with lemon pepper and garlic powder seasoning. Sometimes I don't trim the skin...in fact, most of the time I do not. Do you trim the skin? Do you do it for health reasons (to cut back the fat), or do you think it helps for a more crispy texture and a better breading to meat ratio?

Sometimes I do, it depends on what I’m doing with the chicken.

As to the health reasons…I fry/bake it and eat it as a snack. I think that’s good for my mental health, at least. :laugh:

Trim yes, completely remove nope.
I have had too many skinless thighs that got stuck to the frying pan because obviously I was trying to be healthier and used less oil on top of the fact that I went skinless. Skinless, however, works GREAT in soups/stews or baked in oven.
So I guess what I was trying to say [in my ADHD way] is that it depends on the application how much of the skin I remove.

Trim yes, completely remove nope.
I have had too many skinless thighs that got stuck to the frying pan because obviously I was trying to be healthier and used less oil on top of the fact that I went skinless. Skinless, however, works GREAT in soups/stews or baked in oven.
So I guess what I was trying to say [in my ADHD way] is that it depends on the application how much of the skin I remove.
Right! I am frying, so I left on most of the skin. I don't mind skin-on in soups since I will remove the skin upon deboning and adding other ingredients. I do think skin imparts a lot of flavor.
Sometimes I do, it depends on what I’m doing with the chicken.

As to the health reasons…I fry/bake it and eat it as a snack. I think that’s good for my mental health, at least. :laugh:
Yeah, I have been known to make chicken chiccerone with that excess skin in my toaster oven and use it as a topping (or a snack like you did).

My oh my, I've never fried a chicken thigh! Well I might have pan fried them to brown the skin if using in a casserole. But I've never made or eaten a fried chicken thigh as such.
Have you ever had any fried chicken at all?

I rarely use chicken thighs, because (a) neither I nor my wife like the flavour and (b) I find them aesthetically ugly.:D:D:D I´ve never found an attractive way to serve them, plus there´s only a bit of meat on them.

I rarely use chicken thighs, because (a) neither I nor my wife like the flavour and (b) I find them aesthetically ugly.:D:D:D I´ve never found an attractive way to serve them, plus there´s only a bit of meat on them.
Only a bit of meat? What kind of scrawny chickens have you been eating?

Ohio meaty chicken thigh:

Yeah, chicken thighs are the best - they taste the best and have the most meat compared to the wing or drumstick. I think boneless, skinless chicken thighs are pretty awesome - fried they are the perfect size for sandwiches or for something like chicken parm. As far as trimming the skin, typically not. I don't usually think of health when frying chicken.

I don't usually think of health when frying chicken.
Good point. I was thinking some people might find fried chicken a guilty pleasure that is a little less guilty with less skin.

My giggle was at that part of your post.

Good point. I was thinking some people might find fried chicken a guilty pleasure that is a little less guilty with less skin.

My giggle was at that part of your post.
My main reason for trimming and flappy skin off is to just keep it from being too greasy if I’m simmering or braising it, or just to make it easier to maneuver around a whole chicken if I’m roasting it.

My main reason for trimming and flappy skin off is to just keep it from being too greasy if I’m simmering or braising it, or just to make it easier to maneuver around a whole chicken if I’m roasting it.
I've found some chicken thighs that had a lot of skin and not trimming it meant a lot of breading, so even though the thigh was meaty, I didn't want the breading ratio to be so heavy. Also easier to fit more pieces in my cast iron skillet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom