Do You Use A Timer?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:16 AM
In your everyday cooking, and considering both stovetop cooking and baking (any cooking method, really), do you routinely use a timer as a reminder to check this pot of sauce and that roast, or do you rely mainly on your own instinct or internal clock for checking things?

I rarely set a timer; instead, I tend to glance at the clock and note the time, then rely on my own sense of time to know when to check on a dish.

Say a soup needs to simmer for 40 minutes. I won't set a timer for 40 minutes; I'll just look at the clock and think, "Ok, it's 10 past, so at 10 'til, I need to check on this." Then I'll go off and do something else, trusting my built in clock to register when a half-hour or so has passed, then I'll amble back into the kitchen and resume cooking.

How about you?

Yeah - I use a timer quite a bit as I have a habit of going on-line and getting distracted so letting things overcook. I use the timer more as a reminder to check things than an accurate measure of time. If boiling eggs or baking, I do use it for timing.

I usually set a timer as I have a tendency to get distracted with other things. As MG said, definitely use one for boiling eggs or making things like hollandaise sauce, or custard for cream pies. Always use it for cooking sweet corn on the cob whether for eating right away or to be frozen. My husband is a corn connoisseur and I never hear the end of it if the corn is over cooked.. LOL

Yeah - I use a timer quite a bit as I have a habit of going on-line and getting distracted so letting things overcook. I use the timer more as a reminder to check things than an accurate measure of time. If boiling eggs or baking, I do use it for timing.

Yeah, what MG said. LOL

If timing is critical, I set the timer on my iPhone.

CD

I always use a timer unless I'm actively cooking then I usually don't. If it's a get it started and walk away dish while it cooks, I don't want to have to worry about when it needs to be checked or is done. More often than not, I use the timer on my phone or tablet, which drives Craig up a wall because he always forgets they have a timer function since he doesn't use it and the microwave or stove timer isn't counting down even though I tell him I set the timer.

I use a cheap Ikea timer. I'm also notorious for getting distracted. Plus if the food is something that needs a certain amount of time before being turned off, I'll program the cooker (rings or oven) to automatically turn off for me. So I'll often put something on to reheat it finish cooking, then slide out to pick hubby up off the coach. It's 15mins each way. So I'll program the rings for a set period of time (35mins) and leave the house. The food will be hot and ready to serve as we walk through the door (I'm only putting the rings on 3 (of 10) here from cold so no big deal) or the food will be ready for the protein to be added or for it to be turned up to get it hot rather than warm. Nothing's going to burn because I know it will turn off long before that point. The same with the oven but I'll knock 30°C off the cooking temp to take into account the oven cooking down and warming up etc. I've got it down to a fine art now!

So timers are used a lot in this household, even if only to turn the ring or oven off for me.

I pretty much always use a timer - for boiling/steaming veg, roasting meat or baking a cake I'll always set a timer. I also always set a timer when I'm proving bread - I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten about it and ended up with an over-prooved splat. Also a lot of the time I'm doing cooking tasks in spare minutes when I'm working (I work from home most of the time) so its very easy to get caught up in something or stuck on a call and totally forget about things!

If I'm cooking something whilst I'm in the kitchen then I'll normally use the countdown timer on the oven, but if its something that is stick-it-in-and-leave-it-for-a-while then I'll typically set a reminder on the Alexa so I can hear it in other rooms. I also use the automatic on/off function on the oven if we're going to be out and I want dinner to be ready for when we get home - this works particularly well with things like shepherds/cottage pie or a pasta bake. I also use it to pre-heat the pizza stone so I can make sure its ready for when we want to use it.

Interesting the number of folks who use the delayed start feature on their ovens - I know at least my last two ovens had/have this feature, but I've never used it.

I don't like having the oven or the clothes dryer on when we aren't. I know logically they aren't liable to start a fire, but I always worry about that with the fur babies.

I don't like having the oven or the clothes dryer on when we aren't. I know logically they aren't liable to start a fire, but I always worry about that with the fur babies.
At the end of a cycle, our dryer kicks on and off repeatedly until someone shuts it off, so I'm the same way with that being left unattended.

The oven...for me, the only time that would be advantageous is if I'm leaving the relatively near the time it should start baking and coming home relatively near the time it finishes. For example, I couldn't see popping a casserole in the oven at 7AM when I'm heading out for work, and have it sit all day until the oven kicks on at, say, 5PM so that it's ready at 6PM when I get home.

I could see it being handy if I'm heading out for a doc's appointment at 3PM, then have the oven start at 4PM and shut off at 5PM, right when I'm coming back from my appointment. I'd feel better about that.

As I've had professional cooking training, I've had to learn most timings by heart so I rarely set a timer. The smell alone usually tells me how far along a dish is, or the way the oil bubbles in a pan.
However when it comes to baking, I always use a timer. For baking to work you have to stick to the rules and stick to the timings in the recipe, else disaster ensues as one can frequently see in shows like Masterchef.
I also set a timer when things need to set or rise, checking on it in time can prevent catasthropes. And I use a timer for steak, because it's reliable for a perfect result every time.

The oven...for me, the only time that would be advantageous is if I'm leaving the relatively near the time it should start baking and coming home relatively near the time it finishes. For example, I couldn't see popping a casserole in the oven at 7AM when I'm heading out for work, and have it sit all day until the oven kicks on at, say, 5PM so that it's ready at 6PM when I get home.

I could see it being handy if I'm heading out for a doc's appointment at 3PM, then have the oven start at 4PM and shut off at 5PM, right when I'm coming back from my appointment. I'd feel better about that.
I wouldn't use the oven timer for something that's going to sit waiting in the oven all day either. But if you take shepherd's pie for example....often I'll make the pie during my lunch break and once fully assembled leave it to chill in the fridge during the afternoon. Then if we want to walk round to the pub for a couple of drinks after work I'll put it in the oven on the timer so that its ready for when we get back a couple of hours later. Very convenient :okay:

Back
Top Bottom