Do you use canned vegetables?

I think canned vegetables are dreadful and would rather skip the veg altogether than use them. I can't stand the taste or the texture. I get most of my vegetables fresh, but do use frozen sweetcorn.

fresh, market bught, in-season vegies are the best. wish i could always get my vegies this way, but can't. i try to read the labels as my guide. but i hope i learn from you guys on a better practice with canned ones. had to resort to this as it has longer shelf life, not to mention convenience.

No, not a fan of canned veggies. I'll eat sauerkraut & (rarely) spinach but if I'm going to go with cans I might as well choose frozen over that. Which is what I do. Too much sodium in canned vegetables.

I prefer fresh veggies, but for frozen it really depends on what I need and if I need it for that night. If I don't need it right away, I will buy frozen. However, if I do then I pick it up in its canned version. Not the best way to go, but it does help cut the waiting time since I'm new to cooking.

I do use canned veggies but not too often. I prefer fresh or frozen because the taste is way better. I do like canned corn and canned mushrooms though. That is probably the two canned vegetables I always have on hand. I mostly used the canned vegetables it I didn't get a chance to go to the market to get fresh ones. I find when you use canned mushrooms they don't break down as much as fresh ones do so I used the canned ones in a goulash or chili. I also use a lot of canned tomatoes. I really like them.

Some vegetables can better than others. Sweetcorn is pretty good from a can. Canned tomatoes are often better for sauces than fresh. Mushy peas are wonderful! But carrots, green beans and peas are a poor relation. Personally, I'm rather partial to tinned potatoes (particularly in a salad). They taste quite different from fresh, but I rather like that sometimes. I also use canned artichoke hearts sometimes and one big favourite of mine is Hearts of Palm.

Out of season the only veg I would used can is sweet corn as it's far better than the frozen stuff,only for use in sauces or purees

Mostly I use fresh vegetables. I do by tinned tomatoes and use these quite regularly. The other things I buy canned would more fall into the category of pulses really, such as peas and beans. In general, I tend to buy fresh products and cook from scratch.

There are some items I will buy canned, but in general I prefer frozen in most cases when fresh is either not available, or not in my budget. I'm surprised some people on here mentioned that they will buy canned peas though - those are like the epitome of what I don't like about canned food - greyish, bland, briney, mushy and taste like mouth full of preservatives. Frozen peas are not only cheaper by weight, they are fresher tasting and don't have any preservatives and they just freeze well naturally. That's kind of a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. I can tolerate some brands of canned corn, if they are the kind packed with little to no liquid. They come in handy if I am making a dish with corn on it, such as a southwestern chicken salad, and I don't necessarily want completely raw corn, but I don't feel like spending the time cooking fresh corn and waiting for it to cool down either. Canned beets are another one I don't mind and actually prefer them from a can. They're far too messy and time consuming for me to cook them from fresh, and no matter how careful I am I almost always end up staining clothing and other kitchen stuff permanently. Generally I eat them room temperature tossed in a sweet vinaigrette, so I will just drain them from the can, rinse them, and blot them dry then dress them with the vinaigrette.

I have a vegetable garden so I don't eat a lot of canned vegetables. Also, if you can get it fresh then why go for the preserved stuff, right? Unless ofcourse your family goes camping as was my case this one time. We went to live in the mountains for a week and you can't forage well if you're in a new place, you might take the poisonous shrubs so we went there packing a lot of canned meat and vegetables. It was pretty ridiculous but fun nonetheless. I'd rather have my vegetables frozen than canned because freeze-dried food preserves the freshness of the packet while canned just extends its life with preservatives.

Except for pickled cucumber, I don't remember using canned vegetables. Even in soup, I don't buy Campbell's although I was raised on it - the favorite soup of my parents who are pro-Americans, hahahaaa. The advantage of living near a market is that I can go to the market anytime especially now that we have a housemaid who can run errands for me. So if I need a carrot or potato, hie to the market, I would tell our housemaid and in a little while I would have the fresh vegetables I need.

I like my vegetables fresh all the time. Come to think of it, the only time I used canned ones was when I went to cook at a function. That was what my client had me use.

Back
Top Bottom