Do you use mustard as an ingredient, not just as a condiment?

Food4thought

Veteran
Local time
1:17 PM
Many people may think that mustard is just a condiment to smear on a piece of meat. I don't eat much meat, but I do keep a jar or mustard handy when I'm cooking. It can be used in salad dressings, hot or cold sauces and in some cooked dishes.

Yesterday I added a few spoonfulls of wholegrain mustard to rice cooked with lentils. This makes a nice spicy dish that can be served hot with fried onions or cold with salad.

I also use mustard in a cream-based spicy pasta sauce.

Can you think of any more uses for mustard as an ingredient?

We use various different mustards extensively. yellow & black mustard seeds get used as the base tarka for most of my indian dishes (along with various other spices). I love wholegrain mustard mixed in with mashed potato and often add Dijon mustard to my pates. That is just a few of the uses in this household!

I sometimes mix Dijon mustard into mashed potatoes. I also use mustard also in sauces. It's extremely versatile.

I love mustard.. I have about 10 different varieties of mustard in the kitchen. Mustard makes almost everything taste better. I really like making a quick homemade mustard salad dressing. I use to bread chicken with a mustard and bread crumb mixture. Delicious.

From this blog post (a kitchen experiment by Mara Wilson, who was an actress when she was a child, you might be familiar with her title role in the movie Matilda) I learned that mustard can look suspiciously like perfectly innocent leafy salad greens! It seems that even in their natural leafy form, they have an unbearably strong flavor.

I only use it mostly for condiment on hotdogs, but I've also used it for my potato salad recipes and I especially like using honey mustard for that. I've never gotten to try wholegrain mustard, though, but I have seen it used in recipes on TV and hope to try it out someday.

I use it for onion rings and hot dogs as a condiment, but I do love it in pasta salads and potato salads. It really gives my salads that extra kick. You never know what you can put it on until you search recipes online and find new ways to use it. Incredible.

Back
Top Bottom