Do you use Quorn products?

Local time
8:58 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I first had Quorn at a friend's house. She'd made a chilli with it, as she had some vegetarian guests. I really enjoyed it, and I've used minced Quorn, as well as the roasting joint, several times since.

My husband refuses to touch it - even though he ate and enjoyed our friend's chilli - but I think it makes a healthy change from meat. What about you? Any tips and tricks to share?

Eat it all the time, chicken pieces, sausages, mince.... I wouldn't use to replace meat (love meat!) but when trying to be healthier it a good choice.

Just found you need to make sure that you get some flavour into it, not soggy but you know!

I've used the mince and the chunks before and it's ok - but these days just use veg or lentils when I want to replace meat.

I buy the mince and chicken or steak strips for my sons as they are vegetarian and it's often the easiest way of adapting a meal so they can eat almost the same as the rest of the family.
I don't personally like it, though I can stand it as a chilli, but I'd choose meat every time.

Chicken style pieces, mince and fishless fingers are great.

The new lamb strips and the chicken style biryani lunch pot are good too.

However I do not like Quorn sausages or the pasta bolognese lunch pot.
Linda McCartney sausages all the way.

When it comes to sausage, it really has to be sausage. Quorn sausages are a contradiction in terms, as far as I'm concerned. My daughter agrees with Jeff, though - if you have to have veggie sausages, go for Linda's.

When it comes to sausage, it really has to be sausage. Quorn sausages are a contradiction in terms, as far as I'm concerned. My daughter agrees with Jeff, though - if you have to have veggie sausages, go for Linda's.

Best ones I know are Cauldron Food's Lincolnshire sausages. fantastically tasty... loads of herbs in them which is probably why I like them so much!
2nd best are the Good Life Glamorgan sausages which are better for me being completely dairy free (as well a vegan & gluten free - found in the freezer section)
3rd are Cauldron food's Cumberland version.

I find the Linda McCartney ones taste odd & rather salty and have a very plastic texture to them...

I tried a Quorn patty but it was far too chewy, it's consistency reminded me a bit too much like chicken. Or how I remember chicken being, I haven't eaten it since I was 7 years old. I do like other meat substitutes like vege bacon and sausages though as they seem to have a consistency of their own.

I bought the Quorn patties several years ago, but had a hard time finishing the box. There was something not only bizarre about the texture of them, but also the flavor, that was creeping me out.

Also, when I read what the stuff actually was, and how it was made it also made me rather nauseous. It was originally described to me as being similar to mushrooms, but others have since described it as being more like a mold. Supposedly it was discovered in the 60's, but previous attempts to make it into an edible product failed because when it was metabolized, it would produce uric acid, which could cause gout. In addition, some people can be allergic to it.

The current processing of it involves egg whites, so it's not vegan either.

Back
Top Bottom