Does anybody have a good recipe for (Canadian) tea biscuits?

L_B

Veteran
Local time
3:22 PM
My dad use to make the best tea biscuits. Sadly, he passed away suddenly a number of years ago and nobody had ever gotten the recipe from him. Of course, he always made them from scratch and the recipe of how he did things was in his head. He made them so often over the years that I am sure he could have made them with his eyes closed. Even my mom didn't know what his recipe was.

I have tried many different recipes over the year but I haven't found one quite like his and I am sure I won't. I am interested though in having a few new recipes to try if anybody has one they would like to share.

Thanking you in advance!

Please clarify what you mean by tea biscuits. Many threads have explored the various confusions between UK/American terms, biscuit being a case in point! I am thinking because you say 'tea', you mean the British type of biscuit. Something like this:

biscuits.jpg

Tea Biscuits

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour milk over top and stir with fork to form soft, slightly sticky ragged dough.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead gently 10 times. Gently pat out into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick round. Using 2-inch (5 cm) floured cutter, cut out rounds. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Gather up scraps and repat dough; cut out more rounds, pressing remaining scraps into final biscuit.

Brush tops of biscuits with egg. Bake in 425 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool on pan on rack. (Make Ahead: Wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks; thaw and reheat in 350 F oven for 10 minutes.)

Variation

Dried Fruit and Lemon Tea Biscuits: Add 1/2 cup raisins, dried currants, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, chopped dried cherries (not candied), apricots or prunes. Add 2 tsp grated lemon rind to dry mixture.

upload_2015-8-7_8-55-21.png

Sorry for the confusion Morning Glory this is what I was referring to when I said Tea Biscuit. I guess in the UK it would be similar to a scorn.
Thanks classic33, that is exactly what I am looking for. They sound great! I can't wait to try them out.

Thanks classic33. That is exactly the type of recipe that I was looking for. I am going to try them out and see what they are like. They sound great!

Sorry for the confusion Morning Glory. I never thought of biscuit being a different thing in different countries. What I was looking for would be similar to a scone in the UK.
I thought it might be - but when you wrote 'tea' biscuit I wondered! If you put 'tea biscuit' into google images search, you get pictures of both kinds!

Reactions: L_B
Back
Top Bottom