Does anyone here make their own sausage from scratch ?

grumpyoldman

Local time
12:08 AM
we make sausage for family and freinds every year , i like to do it during the warmer months so we have already started loading up the freezer with meat for our yearly sausage making run, we have a tad over 170 lbs in the freezer already

Not stuffed links, no, but I’ll make bulk/loose Italian sausage and breakfast sausage from time to time.

We make stuffed and bulk sausage. We most often make andouille, which is smoked also when stuffed, because the commercially made stuff available locally is not the best.

We have a dedicated LEM grinder and a stuffer from years ago when we made sausage several times a year.

i use whats called a water stuffer , i/we find its much much easier to use than the crank type stuffers , at 66 years old i figure why wear out my arm cranking when i can just crack open a valve and let the water do the work for me ...lol
we make breakfast sausage ( think Jimmy Dean type ) polish sausage ( hot and mild ) and smoked links again both hot and mild

I used to make a lot more than I do now. I’ve tried just about every typical sausage known to us here in the Western world. Some went well and some were complete disasters. I’ve moved into more meat sales in our new shop so I carry a few decent ones. I have become lazy and just grab some from work.

When butcher had his shop I used to watch him making his own, the big grinding machine was amazing. I couldn't replicate that and wont even try. I go to lesston butchery now (30mins ) away. Chris the owner sold his shop, the new guy cant make sausages. I have 2 kgs in my freezer.
Bloody sausages!!!!

Russ

My husband and his cousins make sausage annually. We usually have 10 pounds of it (5 Italian, 5 Hungarian). His cousins eat a lot more of it than we do and they also make it for other family members and friends.

sausage making is fun and easy !! that is until you start making large amounts , up to about 10 lbs is very easy after that its best to buy equipment made just for making sausage , grinders stuffers , mixers and so forth . we got into making just a few pounds for ourselves and since then its gone for 8-10 lbs for the two of us, to 200+ lbs every year for freinds and family

sausage making is fun and easy !! that is until you start making large amounts , up to about 10 lbs is very easy after that its best to buy equipment made just for making sausage , grinders stuffers , mixers and so forth . we got into making just a few pounds for ourselves and since then its gone for 8-10 lbs for the two of us, to 200+ lbs every year for freinds and family
You got that right! I take no part in it other than cooking and eating it, but my husband and his cousins have a huge number of family and friends near us. It takes them all day to make it.

They're really happy that I don't want it in casings!

we are getting older with some age related health problems , in the past we have done as much as 150 lbs of smoked link sausage in a day , now we try to do a max of 40 or so lbs in a day, then take a break of a couple of days then repeat
getting old takes the fun out of everything !!!

we are getting older with some age related health problems , in the past we have done as much as 150 lbs of smoked link sausage in a day , now we try to do a max of 40 or so lbs in a day, then take a break of a couple of days then repeat
getting old takes the fun out of everything !!!
Yeah, my husband is 54 but his cousins are in their 70s. And hubby does the brunti of the harder stuff though it takes a toll on him too. They take lots of breaks.

Back
Top Bottom