Does Your Grocer Offer DIY Checkout...

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:36 PM
...and if so, do you use it?

Let me be clear: I don't mean self-service kiosks where you scan and bag your own purchases; those have been around for quite a long time now.

I'm referring to the ability to scan your items as you take them off the shelf, bag them directly in your cart, and pay for them through an app on your phone.

Kroger is slowly rolling out Scan-Bag-Go and I've been using it for about a year. I love it...when it works.

At Kroger, shoppers can either use an in-store scanning device, scan and bag their items, then go through to the kiosks, scan a kiosk ID, and their order will pop up there and they can pay at the kiosk.

Or, shoppers can download their app, use their own phone as a scanning device, scan and bag their items, then take advantage of the option to pay for their groceries through the app, skipping the lines altogether. This is the option I choose.

The funny thing is, I'm on a first-name basis with nearly everyone at my smaller local Kroger, and they all tell me that I'm absolutely the only person who shops there who uses the phone app and pays through the app. That surprises me, because the whole point is to skip the lines, and if you don't use the phone app, you still have to go through the kiosks to pay, and there's frequently a line there. Pointless. May as well let them bag them and all.

Anyway, I've used it probably 250 times over the last year, and I'd say 90% of the time, there's one problem or another:

1. Kroger lists the scanned item as "not found"

2. App doesn't work/network down

3. App won't accept payment

4. App won't recognize my loyalty card

Even with the troubles, I still love it. It's made grocery shopping that much more enjoyable for me, because I know when I'm done, I don't have to wait in a long line, unload a cart, wait for my items to be bagged, then hand over loyalty and credit cards to pay. That's all set up.

Scan...bag...and out the door I go!

Anybody else use this? What's your experience? If you don't use it, does it sound like something you'd like?

Winn Dixie and Wal-Mart both have them. I don't shop at Wal-Mart for groceries enough to know how efficient their system is. I use it for when I'm just getting a few things though and have had occasional problems with the weight of items not being correct per the machine.

Winn Dixie, not too bad, just a glitch here and there.

I don't know if either 1 of them has an app, as we mostly shop at Publix, which doesn't have them and I can't see that they will as their big thing is customer service.

We have them here but I only use them in the 'metro supermarkets' (small town/city centre supermarkets) for a few items. I shop on-line mostly as I don't really like supermarkets - I hate the way you do all the work! Too many stages - too much loading/unloading. Its bonkers!

This is what we do: Drive to supermarket, load shopping into trolley, unload it at check-out, re-load it into bags or boxes, load it into boot of car, drive home from supermarket, unload from boot of car, take into kitchen and unload and put away.

At least 8 processes and a lot of time. On-line its simply ordering it, then they deliver and unload it into your kitchen for you if you wish. All you do is put it into cupboards/fridge. So that is 2 processes. And a lot less time.

All you do is put it into cupboards/fridge. So that is 2 processes. And a lot less time.
Kroger will do that as well, but (sad as it may sound) grocery shopping is one of my great, great pleasures. I look forward to it like other people look forward to a day at the beach.

Plus, I don't trust anyone picking out my fruit, veg, meat, or bakery bread.

Two choices here, Pak n save or as its called Pak and slap. You Pack your groceries in boxes that are recycled from original goods. It's quite cheap actually.
Or new world supermarkets or countdown supermarkets. Both offer check out chicks or machines you self scan. New world is quite dear but we go there because they have a better selection, their breads are beautiful and butchery present food amazingly. I try to use the chicks, I like to talk to them.

Russ

I haven't tried Kroger Scan-bag-go. I use their self-check-out, and it has enough problems. But, at least someone is close by to fix them. I bring my own insulated bags (from IKEA), so the self- check-out seems to be my best method.

CD

I look forward to it like other people look forward to a day at the beach.
I suppose I might like it better if I went like you do at a very early hour when there is hardly anyone there - but what I really dislike is having to drive to and trek round some huge store to buy essentials like toilet tissue or washing up liquid etc. Plus, I generally shop at Ocado which is a top of the range on-line only food supermarket. I can get many speciality things which are impossible to obtain elsewhere. Like pink radicchio, baby gromula and breseola (for example).

fullsizeoutput_2da1.jpeg

What I tend to do is order most of the main items at Ocado and a few bits and pieces as needed from Aldi (budget supermarket) which is literally at the end of my road and not a gigantic store so I can be there and back in twenty minutes. If Aldi had DIY checkouts I would probably use them.

Last edited:
Ok, another particular fault of Kroger's SBG program, at least at my location.

When I pay by phone, it pops up a validation number, and I'm supposed to show that to a kiosk worker, who then looks at their employee device, finds my number, and marks it as validated.

Should take all of 10 seconds, but since I'm literally the only shopper at my location who uses the phone app, they continually staff the kiosk with workers who don't have the security permissions to validate app purchases.

This morning, I went in about 7AM to get four items, and it took longer for the kiosk fellow to find a manager at that hour than it did for me to do my shopping!

It's goofy here.
Walmart is strongly touting its self check-out but there are no bags. Wife remembers to bring her own, but forget me ever remembering that.
Can't buy alcohol at the self check out either. That includes beer. I buy Budweiser Select beer that is very low calorie and much lower alcohol and can usually only find it at Walmart.

Walmart has cut way back on their produce and hardly any meat anymore. Painful atmosphere to shop in anyway.

Target expanded their grocery section and added a HUGE Disney Store in the middle of it too. Prices and selection and hours so good the Movie studio caterers pick the grocery section over and it's empty of many things an hour after opening. Caterers are like a flash mob at dawn and descend on the place.
Self check out not so popular there for some odd reason.

At the Lowes Home Improvement center self check out is usually all that's open. You have no choice. So if your items don't have the Universal scanning Code someplace on them it's going to be a long time to get out of the place. I buy Kingsford slow burn charcoal for my smoker there. This time of year it goes on sale, and not available everywhere. I buy a years worth.

Last edited:
...and if so, do you use it?

Let me be clear: I don't mean self-service kiosks where you scan and bag your own purchases; those have been around for quite a long time now.

I'm referring to the ability to scan your items as you take them off the shelf, bag them directly in your cart, and pay for them through an app on your phone.

I've heard about it, but no place I've shopped has this feature. I'm really not all that interested to be honest. I don't want to pay for things from my phone when out in public. They can take cash or a credit card.
I don't use the self service kiosks at groceries, either - too many fresh veggies in my basket for me to feel comfy with that system. I do use it at big box hardware stores sometimes. Here it depends on the overall "annoyance" factor.

Walmart is strongly touting its self check-out but there are no bags.
Kroger provides bags at the spot where you pick up the in-store scanning device.

The thing is, I could never remember my bags before, but now that I use scan-and-go, I always remember my bags.

I'm really not all that interested to be honest.
Honestly, I used it with the idea that I'd immediately dismiss it, but I fell in love with it.

If I may ask, what don't you like about scanning your own produce at the self-serve kiosks? I'd rather scan my own than let the checkout person scan it, because they toss it all around and bruise my fruit, more often than not.

We have them here but I only use them in the 'metro supermarkets' (small town/city centre supermarkets) for a few items. I shop on-line mostly as I don't really like supermarkets - I hate the way you do all the work! Too many stages - too much loading/unloading. Its bonkers!

This is what we do: Drive to supermarket, load shopping into trolley, unload it at check-out, re-load it into bags or boxes, load it into boot of car, drive home from supermarket, unload from boot of car, take into kitchen and unload and put away.

At least 8 processes and a lot of time. On-line its simply ordering it, then they deliver and unload it into your kitchen for you if you wish. All you do is put it into cupboards/fridge. So that is 2 processes. And a lot less time.

Wow. The only time I do online ordering from groceries is when I was laid up and couldn't drive due to the broken ankle.

I don't DON'T want them picking out my fish or fresh veggies for me. And when they picked my lamb, it was fatty as all get out. I would have SKIPPED the lamb that day!

I do order some things from Amazon that I eat. Salad dressing (it is hard to find the healthier types I like, when I don't have time to make my own). I just got a sampling of Amy's soups, and some pasta that I'd hoped to use for the last month's challenge - but ran out of time for most of that...) There is NO WAY short of another broken ankle that I would buy fresh foods from a delivery service. I really don't mind the effort involved to pick out food I like, with the quality I want.

Honestly, I used it with the idea that I'd immediately dismiss it, but I fell in love with it.

If I may ask, what don't you like about scanning your own produce at the self-serve kiosks? I'd rather scan my own than let the checkout person scan it, because they toss it all around and bruise my fruit, more often than not.

TBH, the one local place that offers this service doesn't let you put wine through that lane... and since I don't want to go more than once a week or so now that I live rural...

The other factor is that the machine never seems to read weight well. And apparently the cashiers they hire there actually KNOW how to handle fruits and veggies. I've never ended up with crushed veggies. Bar codes they handle fine, but the weight balance never seems to work properly. I'm not the only one to notice this.

@Mountain Cat - they also make me go through a kiosk if I'm buying alcohol, have paper coupons (which I rarely do anymore) or when I buy batteries (?).

I love the way it does produce. If it has to be weighed:

1. Scan produce and keep it handy. Do this for all your weighed purchases.

2. When finished in produce, scan a scale, and then the scale will tell you to weigh each purchase in turn, then give you the weight and the amount, which you accept via the app.

3. Off you go to do the rest of your shopping.

@Mountain Cat - they also make me go through a kiosk if I'm buying alcohol, have paper coupons (which I rarely do anymore) or when I buy batteries (?).

I love the way it does produce. If it has to be weighed:

1. Scan produce and keep it handy. Do this for all your weighed purchases.

2. When finished in produce, scan a scale, and then the scale will tell you to weigh each purchase in turn, then give you the weight and the amount, which you accept via the app.

3. Off you go to do the rest of your shopping.

Well, we don't scan the weight until at checkout, which means after that checkout, I have to go out to the car and put it there. Then I'm supposed to go back in? And let the fresh stuff car-cook?
BTW, Interesting about the batteries (which I usually get at Lowes or Home Depot).

Actually, I assume you are talking Now about the DIY checkout at point of "grabbing". Yes, that is something nothing near me has. I don't shop Walmart but once a year on average, so I don't know if they have it.

Back
Top Bottom