Dosas

Discussion in 'Sandwiches, Pizzas and Wraps' started by morning glory, Mar 14, 2019.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Have you ever made dosas? I haven't ever tried but I think they are notoriously difficult. Traditionally they are made from a fermented batter made of rice and gram flour. I've seen them on TV being made in India on street stalls - large, paper thin and made in a few seconds.

26529198725_4d7067b6d0_b.jpg

Jamie Oliver has a recipe which is made with gram flour and wheat flour but the batter isn't fermented so I'm not sure its technically a dosa. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/amazing-indian-dosa/

According to Wikipedia:
    I'm going to look up Madhur Jaffrey recipes. Meanwhile, have any of you made dosa and if so, how did you make the batter?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. rascal

rascal Senior Member

No I've never made them, maybe I need to.

Russ

3. Wyshiepoo

Wyshiepoo Senior Member

Never heard of them before!

4. morning glory

I've found Madhur Jaffrey's recipe which may well put everyone off trying it! I'll post as a Recipe thread and link back here.

They've featured on some TV food shows such as Rick Stein's India and The Hairy Bikers but in most cases I've seen, the street stall experts do it and the celebrity chefs have a go and fail!

I started the thread because @murphyscreek mentioned elsewhere that he had tried making them without much success.

rascal likes this.
  5. rascal

rascal Senior Member

Just looked it up on madhurs book, too much effort for me.

Russ

6. morning glory

I found the recipe in Eastern Vegetarian Cooking - a serious book with no photos only diagrams!

7. rascal

rascal Senior Member

Page 119 in her book, too many things, I like simple.lol. I'm doing Indian night here for family tomorrow night. Was just flicking through madhurs book and found dosas.
    I'll prolly make onion bhagees and samosas for entree and tandoori chicken and lamb and silver beet chop curry. Kids quite happy to have that.

Russ

morning glory likes this.
  8. morning glory

Must be a different book. I agree its lots of steps and tricky.

9. rascal

rascal Senior Member

10. morning glory

Ah - yes its different. I don't have that book. I wonder of the dosa recipe is the same. Have a look at the one I post today and compare.

rascal likes this.
  11. rascal

rascal Senior Member

When I go upstairs I'll take a pic.

Russ

12. morning glory

13. TodayInTheKitchen

TodayInTheKitchen Active Member

For all dosa fans, you have to check out this video. Must see video