Recipe Drunk Pork Roast

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:08 PM
I know I have mentioned Drunk Pork Roast. IDK if I actually posted a recipe. If I did I don't know where. So if this is a repeat please forgive me.

I use a Boston Butt Pork Roast - actually a bone in pork shoulder roast. I buy them when they go on sale for 99 cents per lb. There are usually several in the freezer. I use it for my drunk roast and when G kills a deer we use it with the venison to make sausage - both smoked and fresh. We also make fresh pork sausage and have tried our hands at Italian sausage.

Heat oven to 300 degrees F.

Ingredients
Boston Butt Roast (bone in pork shoulder roast)
At least 3 medium yellow onions - diced
A pod of garlic - smashed and minced - You can use roasted garlic instead of fresh - I actually really like the roasted garlic.
2 Jalapeno peppers - cored and minced
1/4 ounce dried wild mushrooms - porcini or morels
1/2 lb. (or more) Cremini mushrooms - stems removed - halved or quartered
750 ml. bottle of red wine. G likes to drink Merlot or Malbec - it is in the house so that is what I use.
Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
Cayenne pepper
Sorry no measurements.

If you want to add other veggies to the pot - celery, carrots, potatoes, turnips - any or all or none - go for it. One thing I do really like to add is Jerusalem Artichokes (Sun Chokes). The earthiness is wonderful with the mushrooms. Caution - it is a gas bomb.

Method

Remove most of the heavy fat cap from the roast.
Turn over and cut slits in the roast - deep and wide. 6 or more slits.
Combine salt and Cayenne in a ramekin. Start by putting a pinch of the salt/cayenne mixture in a slit. Add onions, a little garlic and a pinch of Jalapeno. Repeat until the slit is full. When all of the slits have been stuffed rub the outside of the roast - all sides - with salt/cayenne mixture.

Reserve any excess veggies. They will go in the pot. Chop more onions and garlic if you have none left.

I cook my roast in a large cast iron Dutch oven. You can use a roasting pan and cover with foil. If you use a roasting pan you will have to keep an eye on the liquid while cooking.

Dried Mushrooms

Rinse to remove sand
Reconstitute in a cup of hot wine
Strain through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter
Gently squeeze to remove excess liquid
Reserve the liquid
Chop

Heat the Dutch oven - very hot and dry - no oil. Put the roast in the pot fat side down. There is enough remaining fat to melt and keep the meat from burning.

Note: turn on the vent fan and open a window.

Brown all sides of the roast
Deglaze with wine
Add mushroom liquid, reconstituted mushrooms, onions, garlic and any other veggies you want to use.
Cover and transfer to the oven.
Timing will vary - about 3 hours.
My cast iron pot seals very tightly when covered. I check it after 1 1/2 hours - add more wine, water or stock if needed.

If you are using a roasting pan with foil check more frequently and be prepared to add liquid.

After 3 hours the meat will have pulled away from the bone. Remove from the oven.
Let sit covered for 10 - 15 minutes. Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Transfer the veggies to a bowl - I use a spider ladle.
Let the liquid sit uncovered while you remove the bone and slice the roast. Skim the fat from the pot. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce by half. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add 1/2 stick cold butter cut into cubes. Continue to simmer until gravy just coats the back of a spoon. Return the veggies and meat to the pot. Toss in Crermini mushrooms. Cover and turn off the heat. Ready to serve in 15 minutes.

This is my family's favorite holiday dish.

Last edited:
@ElizabethB

Elizabeth, this is a lovely pork roast récipe ..

I would have to sub the chili peppers for a sprinkle of one tiny dried "Guindilla", cayenne in English and would use a pinch of La Vera Smoked Pimentón Paprika, which is Cayenne.

Definitely a lovely roast idea for the holidays and it is fabulous for Baguette leftovers too !!!!

I would use wild Spanish mushrooms here, as I am not sure if we have Cremini .. I will check it out .. And translate the roast cut for my Butcher though he has a chart in 4 languages, Catalan, Spanish, English and French ..

Could one use a Tenderloin Porc Roast ?

Thank you for posting ..

Continue to simmer until gravy just coats the back of a spoon.
Just so I'm not missing anything, the gravy consists of the reduction + butter, but no flour?

This sounds like a versatile dish that comes together without a lot of attention. Very nice!

@Francesca: I'm guessing a tenderloin would lack the fat needed to prepare it this way. Maybe it could be done with extra liquid in the dutch oven?

@Francesca
You could use a pork tenderloin but it will not have the richness of the fatty shoulder. You will need to add some fat and maybe additional liquid. The tenderloin is also a much more expensive cut of meat and not at it's best braised. Just ask the butcher for a pork shoulder roast. Fat = richness and flavor.

@The Late Night Gourmet yes just a reduction. If there is not enough liquid after skimming add more wine!

The left overs - if there are any - make a wonderful sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom