1 cup brown sugar
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in the oven's center. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
  • Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until thoroughly blended.
  • Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on low speed until combined; add beer. Add dry mixture until combined, then add Guinness in small amounts. Mix in seeds and chocolate chunks.
  • Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake about 14 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes: 30 Cookies

http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/1

These sound so good! I wonder what kind of impact the Guinness would have to the overall taste of the cookies. I can't say I've seen Guinness at all, living here - but I really want to make these because everything else on the ingredients list are things I love!

I have never seen a recipe like this, but I must say it looks highly interesting. IF the pumpkin sees are in the shell though wouldn't you have to shell them first? I guess not. It might just make the cookies crunchy like it had nuts in it. This looks like it could be a good St. Paddy's Day dessert.

This is a new one for me and one that I will be trying. I don't drink beer but I am willing to get some just to cook with.

Pumpkin spice is not easily available in the UK, but its easy to make:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice/

Looking at the recipe I think that the following line is a tiny bit misleading:
  • Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on low speed until combined; add beer. Add dry mixture until combined, then add Guinness in small amounts. Mix in seeds and chocolate chunks.
It implies that you add the beer (it doesn't say how much) to the eggs & butter, then add the dry ingredients.... then add Guinness again. My thoughts are that the dry ingredients should be mixed into the eggs and butter mix and then the beer (Guinness) added gradually until a dropping consistency is reached. Just my thoughts....

Well I figured the only thing that would be a problem would be the pumpkin spice. Every one must know by now that I now keep two Guinness at all times for some recipe I don't seem to know how or when to approach. I actually have some pumpkin seeds at home for the longest time. My Guinness are in bottles. @morning glory, I can trust you to dissect these recipes.

Last edited:
Well I figured the only thing that would be a problem would be the pumpkin spice. Every one must know by now thata I now keep two Guinness at all times for some recipe I don't seem to know how or when to approach. I actually have some pumpkin seeds at home for the longest time. My Guinness are in bottles. @morning glory, I can trust you to dissect these recipes.
Bottled guinness will be fine - its pretty much the same as canned draught. As long as the pumpkin seeds are still edible, why don't you try this one! I think it sounds good.

You've not tried both then?
I have tried both and I do prefer the 'draught' version. But I think the bilkkies will be fine with a ordinary Guinness. I mean, the difference would be quite subtle and it would be great if @winterybella used up some of that Guinness! The draught one tastes a bit 'darker'...well I think so. What do you think?

I have tried both and I do prefer the 'draught' version. But I think the bilkkies will be fine with a ordinary Guinness. I mean, the difference would be quite subtle and it would be great if @winterybella used up some of that Guinness! The draught one tastes a bit 'darker'...well I think so. What do you think?
Seeing as she's only the two left, I'd make a test batch first. For quality control purposes, then make a second lot.

The Draught from a can, I find slightly drier.

Back
Top Bottom