Dry January

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
6:25 PM
Has anyone signed up for Dry January? No alcohol for a month.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since early morning New Years Day. We saw in the New Year with a bottle of fizz but I haven't touched any since for the simple reason I haven't fancied having any.

Has anyone signed up for Dry January? No alcohol for a month.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since early morning New Years Day. We saw in the New Year with a bottle of fizz but I haven't touched any since for the simple reason I haven't fancied having any.

So are you going to continue?

No chance of me signing up - last time I gave up alcohol I also gave up being interested in food or cooking. I lost a lot of weight, knitted a lot and felt bored a lot of the time!

To be honest it depends on how I feel.

Good luck. You should feel better for staying off it for a few days anyway.

My suggestion … get your running shoes on, and get out there - and you'll feel even better. I've been cycling today in the cold, wind and rain, and I feel just fantastic this evening. I'm very close to 17 years of no alcohol now - and I've never regretted waving goodbye to Mistress Alcohol.

Good luck. You should feel better for staying off it for a few days anyway.

My suggestion … get your running shoes on, and get out there - and you'll feel even better. I've been cycling today in the cold, wind and rain, and I feel just fantastic this evening. I'm very close to 17 years of no alcohol now - and I've never regretted waving goodbye to Mistress Alcohol.

I walk to and from work every day, just over 20 minutes each way, we go walking at weekends so I am getting plenty of exercise. Running at night when it is dark and bitterly cold is not fun so that will wait for lighter warmer evenings.

Congratulations on 17 years dry :thumbsup:

17 years, well done. I enjoy alcohol, I'm what you call a happy drunk, lol. I don't argue or anything. I get to a point and just go to bed. I have a friend who shouldn't drink. He gets disgustingly drunk, belching and skiting how rich he is. He hasn't been invited here for a while. I'm told I'm funny when I've had a few. My kids are the same. My wife doesn't drink btw.

Russ

My mum never drank, dad does on the odd occasion. I like to relax and enjoy a drink, not drink for the sake of it and get hammered, I can have a lot of fun and enjoy my evenings without booze.

My mum never drank, dad does on the odd occasion. I like to relax and enjoy a drink, not drink for the sake of it and get hammered, I can have a lot of fun and enjoy my evenings without booze.

I'm cutting back my intake. My grandparents never drank, my mum had a few sherries. Not big drinkers in my family.

Russ

Hubby is doing dry January, I'm doing slightly damp January :laugh: For me its more about getting back on track with the weight loss after Christmas indulgences (only 2.4kg to go) and cutting out alcohol calories helps towards that so that's my main motivation.

We do probably drink too much in general - we like walking to a nice pub and sitting down for a natter with a bottle of wine, or having a bottle with dinner, or lounging in the hot tub with a bottle of bubbly. Sometimes all 3 in the same day :oops: So we probably should cut down throughout the year and not just in January, but we enjoy our leisure time so it probably won't happen.

Most my months are dry...january is never one of them, neither is july, october, november or december...aka new years, 4th of july, my birthday, thanksgiving, and christmas. Never have drunk to excess, generally two drinks do me fine for an evening, maybe 3 on the 4th of july since the party starts early with an afternoon cookout.

Our local pub do regular gin tasting evenings, had a message from the landlord today, we bought tickets to the New Years Eve party but couldn't go also a friend of ours was in the same boat so the 3 of us have been asked if we would like to go, free, to make up for us not going my husband declined as he is on meds and cannot drink, I was going to refuse but our friend asked me if I would like to accompany her, I accepted purely because she asked me, I am not a gin fan but am looking forward to the social side,so my dry January will end next Thursday but will most likely resume next Friday.

I am not a gin fan
A bit off topic....what is it you don't like about gin? I only ask because I always thought I didn't like gin, but last summer I tried rhubarb a gin with ginger ale and other types of gin with lemonade and found I actually really enjoyed some of them. Turns out it was the bitterness from the tonic water that I didn't like, rather than the gin.

A bit off topic....what is it you don't like about gin? I only ask because I always thought I didn't like gin, but last summer I tried rhubarb a gin with ginger ale and other types of gin with lemonade and found I actually really enjoyed some of them. Turns out it was the bitterness from the tonic water that I didn't like, rather than the gin.

I too have had rhubarb gin with ginger, yes it was nice and I have tried X gin, chocolate my husband loves it, but still don't like it, I agree that tonic can be an issue but I have done gin tasting before with a tonic replacement but it still doesn't tickle my tastebuds.

I'm a gin drinker, with tonic, squeeze lemon, perfect. That's ideal but I just have gin with lots of ice and dash of orange juice and water. Try to keep calories down.

Russ

This evenings gin tasting evening has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. My husband is disappointed, he was looking forward to getting rid of me for a few hours :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom