• ¾ tsp Kalonji
  • 5 Fresh green or red chilies, halved
  • ½ tsp Turmeric
  • 1 Small cauliflower cut into 20mm pieces
  • 450 gm Potatoes diced 20mm
  • ¾ tsp Salt or to taste
drypots.jpg

Method

Heat the oil in a wok and briefly fry the kalonji and the chilies. Sprinkle over the turmeric. Add the cauliflower and potatoes, mix well and stir fry for 3 minutes. Turn the heat down, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt, turn up the heat and stir fry until the potatoes are tender.
#

I do something almost the same - but those green things really don't look like kalonji seeds (which are black in my experience). They look more like fennel seeds.:scratchhead:

I do something almost the same - but those green things really don't look like kalonji seeds (which are black in my experience). They look more like fennel seeds.:scratchhead:

I last made it some time ago. They are definitely not fennel. Maybe the kalonji (nigella as it says on my jar) change colour with the frying or maybe because of the length of time I've had them?

nigella.jpg

[Edit: I wrote the label!] .

Last edited:
I last made it some time ago. They are definitely not fennel. Maybe the kalonji (nigella as it says on my jar) change colour with the frying or maybe because of the length of time I've had them?

nigella.jpg

Well in the above photo they look rather bigger than my kalonji seeds but its difficult to get the scale. Certainly, fennel seeds are quite a lot bigger.

The thing is, that I've used kalonji for years in all sorts of ways rom slow cooked to roasted and they have always stayed black - so I'm mystified!

Last edited:
@morning glory I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here but I have noticed since moving to Australia that some of the seeds for my spices are visually different (though kalonji are still black just smaller) but usually smell the same. My cumin seeds for instance are much less brown than I'm used to, almost green. My brown basmati rice (OK not a spice but an example) is very short grained and contains a lot of green rice in it. My coriander seeds are smaller and much greener than before as well.

I may start s thread on it tomorrow. It could be something to do whilst I'm off my feet in really good weather :cry:

@morning glory I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here but I have noticed since moving to Australia that some of the seeds for my spices are visually different (though kalonji are still black just smaller) but usually smell the same. My cumin seeds for instance are much less brown than I'm used to, almost green. My brown basmati rice (OK not a spice but an example) is very short grained and contains a lot of green rice in it. My coriander seeds are smaller and much greener than before as well.

I may start s thread on it tomorrow. It could be something to do whilst I'm off my feet in really good weather :cry:

Its weird though 'cos the seeds look green! I can't imagine how they could go green as they are most definitely black in Yorky's close-up!

on your canon (I have 2 btw), do you take in raw and convert or jpeg? i'm thinking that it could be a white balance problem. my thoughts are black seeds tossed in turmeric reflecting flash...

No, not RAW. I take in "medium" jpegs setting most of the time because RAW images take up too much space on my drives. Looking at the image again, if I remember correctly it was taken in the kitchen utilising natural daylight (albeit through the kitchen window). I have been thinking that the turmeric could have been the cause. It's all very strange.

[Sorry, I actually typed that about 6 hours ago. Forgot to press "post" - Doh]

Could someone in authority please correct my typo in the title?

Could someone in authority please correct my typo in the title?
Click on 'thread tools' top right of the post and you can do it yourself. To edit the body of the message or change the image, use 'edit ' at bottom left of the post.

Why have you gone black!?

Back
Top Bottom