Duck eggs

Local time
4:35 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I love eggs, and eat several a week, but I find duck eggs too strongly flavoured and too large for me. My husband loves them, and we bought some at the market the other day. I noticed that the shells are almost transparent compared to hen's eggs, and given the size of the egg and the thin shell, I was surprised that it didn't crack in the water as I boiled it.

So, two questions here. Do you like duck eggs, and do you know why there is such a difference in the thickness of the shells?

..but I find duck eggs too strongly flavoured ...Do you like duck eggs
Stangely, I find them having less flavour, a more smooth texture and yes I like them, but they are way too expensive in the supermarkets/farmer's markets and are an occasional treat now that our friend in Scotland no longer keeps ducks for eggs.
Incidentally we find supermarket hen's eggs too small - a duck's egg is just about the right size to take the edge of our hunger.

My girlfriends mum has ducks & hens, so lots of eggs :)
I like both, but as SatNavSaysStraightOn says the duck eggs have less flavour & a smoother texture.

I've recently tried a goose egg, I found it to be essentially like a giant duck egg in terms of flavour and texture.
Still working out using them in cooking, trying to determine how many average chicken eggs = 1 goose egg for recipes etc

I love eggs, and eat several a week, but I find duck eggs too strongly flavoured and too large for me. My husband loves them, and we bought some at the market the other day. I noticed that the shells are almost transparent compared to hen's eggs, and given the size of the egg and the thin shell, I was surprised that it didn't crack in the water as I boiled it.

So, two questions here. Do you like duck eggs, and do you know why there is such a difference in the thickness of the shells?
I never had duck eggs but it sounds very interesting.

It's a long time since I had a duck egg actually. I like them. I find that they have a creamier flavor to them than chicken's eggs. Last time I had one I boiled it and serve it up with soldiers. For anyone who doesn't know what soldiers are, it is buttered toast cut into fingers. I have no idea about the thickness of the shells though.

Back
Top Bottom