Recipe Duck stew

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
8:34 AM
The duck stew originated in China but was eclipsed by the peking duck in popularity.

Ingedients: one whole duck, ginger, garlic, onions, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, black pepper, green peas, garbanzo beans.

Procedure: Sautee the crushed garlic then when brown, add the crushed ginger and sliced onions. When partially cooked, add the chopped duck parts and fry until brown. Add the tomato sauce, sugar to taste and black pepper. When looking cooked, add the green peas and garbanzo beans. You can also add potatoes if you desire.

Best served with cucumber salad, bread or rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duck is a meat we do not see around here very often. In fact, I think I may have tasted it on only 2 occasions. It is similar to chicken in some ways, as far as I remember. I have cooked chicken stew, turkey stew, lamb stew, and beef stew. However, I believe duck would also make a good stew. The recipe here sounds good too. I also like the idea of adding green peas since this is a favourite of mine. I am not sure I have ever heard of garbanzo beans, however. This would certainly make a good lunch served with either bread or rice.

I have not eaten duck meat yet. I am assuming it is as tender as the chicken? Base from the cooking procedure you have written, it did not require boiling or steaming or deep frying the meat. That sounds easy to pull off. Is it ok without the soy sauce? I could not imagine in my head the taste of soysauce and tomato sauce. Do they work well together?

Bakemehappy, my recollection is that the duck is not so tender. I actually think it requires much more attention than the chicken which can be a quick fix meat to prepare. I use soy sauce with just about anything and tomato sauce with soy sauce should create a great taste.

I see a duck stew taking much longer than a chicken stew but our stews are mostly boiled from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom