Duck

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:24 AM
How often do you eat duck? I must admit that I don't very often but I do a good duck leg confit. @creative mentioned cooking duck breasts in another thread which prompted me to post this. I'd love to know how you cook duck and any recipes you have - with apologies to @Duck59! :D

How often do you eat duck? I must admit that I don't very often but I do a good duck leg confit. @creative mentioned cooking duck breasts in another thread which prompted me to post this. I'd love to know how you cook duck and any recipes you have - with apologies to @Duck59! :D
Duck is probably my favourite meat but I try not to eat it too often due to it's fattiness.

I'd be interested in how you do duck leg confit. Most recipes emerge it in a lot of fat but I found an excellent recipe that has all the flavour - truly divine - incredibly tender meat and none of the fat! (The slow simmer method does yield some oil which can be drained off and used to roast potatoes). It involves marinading overnight or up to 2 days ahead! It can then be VERY slowly simmered or - how I now prefer it - cooked in a low oven.

Duck Confit
For 4 duck legs: 4 bay leaves - 8 fresh sage leaves or half a pkt. of fresh thyme - 4 garlic cloves - scant 1 tsp Maldon salt, pounded
either 3.5 fl. oz white wine or water for the slow simmer method
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1 - 2 days ahead: Divide the salt, garlic, herb and bayleaves into 2 small dishes. Rub some of the salt from one dish into the fatty underparts of 2 of the legs; repeat for the other 2 legs (using the other dish). Then scatter the contents of one dish over the base of a large shallow dish (to take all the legs). Prick duck all over with a fork and lay, skin side UP in a large shallow dish. Scatter over remaining dish. Cover and refrigerate.

For the day that you cook it - either the slow simmer method or the slow baking method.
For the slow simmer method: Pour wine/water into the base of a large pan. Wipe off any salt off the legs (with a kitchen paper towel) and place them, skin side DOWN in the liquid. Add the garlic, herb and bayleaves. Don't be alarmed at the lack of liquid. The duck will quickly render its fat and juices. Cover and place on a medium heat. When it starts to bubble up (about 5 mins) then turn down the heat to the lowest setting. Simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally that it's barely simmering and not boiling. When done, transfer the legs to a hot dish whilst you skim or pour off the top layer of light fat. This method gives a lovely rich gravy (but an unappealing soft duck skin).

For the slow baking method:
Wipe off any salt off the legs (with a kitchen paper towel) and pat them dry all over. Then place legs in a large, shallow oven dish, skin side UP (no marinade ingredients). Place in a cold oven and bake at Mk 2 for two and a half hours, basting once of twice. Then finish off at Mk. 5 for 15 - 20 mins to crisp up.

After one hour of baking the legs, I find I can do gratin dauphinois potatoes at the topmost shelf i.e. for one and a half hours, placing them on the bottom shelf when the final stage is Mk. 5

Last edited:
I am not allowed to make duck indoors at home any longer. The last time I made it on an electric rotisserie gadget in the downstairs kitchen in our old house, the entire house stunk of duck fat for days.

I may try it on the rotisserie on the gas grill out on the deck this coming spring.

Mmm, now you've got me craving peking duck. I may have to take a quick ride down to Chinatown one night at work, soon. Or maybe just for moo shu duck.

I am not allowed to make duck indoors at home any longer. The last time I made it on an electric rotisserie gadget in the downstairs kitchen in our old house, the entire house stunk of duck fat for days.

I may try it on the rotisserie on the gas grill out on the deck this coming spring.

Mmm, now you've got me craving peking duck. I may have to take a quick ride down to Chinatown one night at work, soon. Or maybe just for moo shu duck.

I've not come across moo shu duck... (goes to Google)... OK it seems to be a specifically American/Chinese thing with shiitake mushrooms? Like this?:

723-6272-moo-shu-duc-2080x1300-72dpi-9_355.jpg

Yes, sort of.

Every place has its own version.

But yes, moo shu are crepe like pancakes with which you fill with the chosen ingredient; in this case duck, that has been stir fried with julienned veggies. There is a sort of dipping sauce that goes with it, rather than the stir fry being served saucy, from my experiences.

We have it every few months to about twice a year. It's best to cook it until well done in the oven.

Well done? Well, I guess as a whole that works, yes, come to think of it.

But cleave the breasts off, and cook them just slightly pink in the center for me.

I love duck...we sell breasts at the shop so I bring some home quite frequently...I will order it when I see it on restaurant menus..I also have a tub of fat in the fridge at all times for potatoes...

I've not come across moo shu duck... (goes to Google)... OK it seems to be a specifically American/Chinese thing with shiitake mushrooms? Like this?
My mouth is watering now :D I've got some cooked duck in the freezer (as well as a whole one), so that is definitely something to try.

As for how often I eat duck, I have had it every Christmas for about the last 35 years (nearly, but not quite, a disaster when one year the supermarket did not have any and I had to go searching on Christmas Eve), but now I tend to have it occasionally during the year as well. I always prick the duck all over and roast it breast side down, so it isn't usually fatty at all.

Back
Top Bottom