Recipe Dulce de leche

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
3:48 AM
Image from iOS (4).jpg

The name of this dish translates to candy milk and it's fairly easy to make with only 3 ingredients, but it takes a lot of time and patience.

- 1 liter milk (I used lactose free but you can use other dairy milks. Goat milk has a different flavor and makes a similar dessert called cajeta)
- 200g brown or demera sugar (white sugar works too but the end product may be less brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1. Heat milk and sugar in medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add the baking powder and stir well. You can omit the baking powder but it helps keep the milk lump free and darkens its color.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir every 10 minutes until brown (this takes at least 1 hour).
Image from iOS (1).jpg

3. When the milk turns brown, reduce heat to minimum and stir continuously. At this point I'm sitting on a chair with one hand on the spoon and another hand on my cellphone...
4. Turn off the heat when the dulce de leche coats the back of a spoon and you a draw a line in it with a finger and the line holds (takes approximately 1 additional hour to get to this point). You can let it cook further than this, but don't forget the dulce de leche thickens a bit more in the fridge.
Image from iOS (2).jpg

Notice how much the milk has reduced. You start with 1 liter of milk and end up with approximately 400g of dulce de leche.

Let it cool and keep in the fridge 1 - 2 weeks (I will not blame if you start eating it straight out of the pan!).Although it's a dessert, I like to mix my dulce de leche with my yogurt.

Happy cooking!

You can also make dulce de leche using a can of sweetened condensed milk. It can be done on the stovetop and also in the oven. In the States, at least where there are large Hispanic populations, you can also buy it jarred or canned.
They sell cans of already cooked condensed milk here in Portugal which is basically the same. But I couldn't find anything lactose-free and condensed milk has a lot more sugar than this recipe.

I also forgot to mention on the recipe but you can make a vegan version of this with coconut milk, I never tried it but I'm eager to I absolutely love coconut milk.

I also forgot to mention on the recipe but you can make a vegan version of this with coconut milk, I never tried it but I'm eager to I absolutely love coconut milk.
You're a fourth of the way to a banoffee pie! You just need a bottom crust, some sliced bananas, and some whipped cream.

You can also make dulce de leche using a can of sweetened condensed milk. It can be done on the stovetop and also in the oven. In the States, at least where there are large Hispanic populations, you can also buy it jarred or canned.

Living in Texas, Dulce de Leche is a very common thing. That, and Tres Leches (cake). Tres Leches is like the Tiramisu of Mexico. It is wonderful (and I don't care much for desserts).

Tres leches cake - Wikipedia

CD

Back
Top Bottom