Durian

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
12:09 AM
I don't mind the spines. I like the smell. I can't stand the flavor. For some people it's the other way around: love the taste, hate the smell, mind the spines. Or, some people just hate this fruit.

This is an approximation of the only recipe where Durian is an ingredient, that my mother could bear:

- rice dumpling wrapper (for non-Asians, I'll clarify that the wrapper is made of rice, that is; not a wrapper for rice dumplings)
- fresh cream
- durian fruit flesh

Mash the durian in with the cream, dollop on the wrapper, wrap it up--and freeze it!

The cream should dilute the overly strong sickly-sweet flavor of the durian.

I tried it.

It didn't work. The moment the cream just touched the back of my teeth, I had to spring for the sink and wash my mouth out for twenty minutes. My mother loved it, though.

Eating Durian is an acquired taste, I suppose. Although it is a native fruit in Asia, many Asians still do not like it. I was amazed that Anthony Bourdain loved it when he visited Indonesia. I love the flavor and texture of frozen Durian. It's like a buttery, pungent, and sweet exotic ice cream. My husband hates it though. It is also very expensive; tat's why it's not a regular fare here.

I actually like durian. . . used in local merchandise, HAHA.

Not that I actually hate the fruit, but we haven't gotten to eat a lot of durian to actually get used to it. I do like the candies and the ice cream and the what-not, but actually eating the durian is hard for me to do because I can't exactly eat it from the fruit itself. Maybe if it's served in a plate - but when I have to eat it from the fruit, it's hard because not only do I have to mind the smell, I also have to mind the spines, haha!

Back
Top Bottom