TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:12 PM
Dutch Salad
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 small head lettuce (I used butter/Boston/bibb lettuce)
1 TB butter
3/4 cup diced deli ham
3 TB red wine vinegar
2 TB water
1/4 tsp salt
Dash cayenne pepper

Directions
Remove the lettuce core, separate the leaves, then wash and dry it. Tear it into large pieces and place in a medium bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the ham. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Pour the vinegar and water over the ham, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the lettuce with the salt and cayenne. Pour the hot vinegar dressing and ham over the lettuce, toss to slightly wilt the lettuce, and serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Come into the Kitchen Cook Book

This is about as Dutch as the Empire state building. Actually oil would have been used far more frequently than butter at that time, and I've actually never heard about butter being used in a salad. Around that time 'Delftsche slaolie' (Salad oil from Delft) would have been the thing to serve around here.
I think they mean American Dutch, not actual Dutch. American Dutch are usually actually Germans to make it more confusing.
delftsche-slaolie-delft-salad-oil-1893-by-jan-tooropjpeg-r6ahe0-r6ahe0.jpg

This is about as Dutch as the Empire state building. Actually oil would have been used far more frequently than butter at that time, and I've actually never heard about butter being used in a salad. Around that time 'Delftsche slaolie' (Salad oil from Delft) would have been the thing to serve around here.
I think they mean American Dutch, not actual Dutch. American Dutch are usually actually Germans to make it more confusing.
View attachment 93813
I was waiting for the response from our Netherlands correspondant.

That’s my assumption as well, and either German settlers or Dutch, as there were many in NY.

That’s one negative to the cookbook - I’d really like a little blurb about the history of each recipe.

Back then, Extra Virgin was how you described your daughter, or fiancee -- whether it was true or not.

CD
The oil I discussed was sunflower oil, of course not Olive oil. It took until 1990 for Olive oil to become accepted here. So this sounds familiar, people here thought olive oil was unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom