Easter Eggs, but better

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:26 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Easter eggs, as we know them, have a deep religious history as a symbol of fertility and rebirth. But, as a kid, I was barely aware of that part: I just had fun coloring the eggs, searching for them, and then peeling and eating them.

But, those are eggs where we color the shell. The dyes and decorations are inedible.

Here at CookingBites, we know that we can color the egg directly. I have seen two cases of this, and I can already imagine many other variations. Hopefully, this will inspire CookingBites members to create their own and post them here!

Here are the ones I've seen posted, though I may have missed some.

Beet Juice Infused Eggs

These are automatic for me. At any given moment, I have beets pickling. As the beets start to dwindle in the jar, I hard boil a few eggs, peel them, drop them in, move the jar into the fridge, and let them soak. The amount of bleed-through depends on how long they soak. I have no idea how long these were soaking...maybe a month? The pickling liquid preserves the egg, so they're safe to eat, but I haven't tested how long that lasts.

Of course, the eggs take on the flavor of the pickling liquid. In the case of mine, that means they're spicy with cinnamon and clove notes.

img_0715-jpg.jpg

Coffee Infused Eggs

I missed this thread the first time around. Morning Glory found that soaking eggs in coffee overnight (assuming in the refrigerator) produces this beautiful Easter egg. As with my eggs, they take on the flavor of the liquid. I assume soaking for longer will result in the yolks changing color completely, too.

fullsizeoutput_426b-jpeg.jpg

Yorky added these beautiful variations on that theme. This must have been a short soak in the (cracked) shell, since we would have seen a full coloring of the flesh if they had soaked overnight.

tea-eggs-jpg.jpg

Cool eggs, I like all of the colored ones and the pickled eggs are also pretty interesting, I want to try out either the tea infused or beet root infused. I can't add more cool ideas but would like to show you enric rovira. His chocolate art is one of the best worldwide, I believe.
Stay healthy

I have been informed by my sister that my mom wants a leg of lamb, and I will be cooking it (so it is edible). I'm planing on an overnight marinade followed by a rotisserie cook on my dad's grill (BBQ).

CD

Pretty good way to cook it too. Good luck, I know you'll do it justice.

Russ

Leg of lamb is not one of my favorite things. But I think rotisserie cooking is the way to go.

Perhaps my mom will make a batch of pickled beets and eggs. Or, maybe I'll make some -- I've never made them before.

CD

Fwiw I rotisserie over charcoal at 160 c for 2 1/2 hrs . Long and slow is your friend.

Russ

That is so creative and healthier to eat! Amazing to see all the examples! Will give it a try! A first for me that eggs can be pickled.

Timenspace, may I politely ask that when quoting posts to reply, you include enough in the quote to make sense, rather than just one word. I keep having to click back to understand what you are responding to!

Back
Top Bottom