Eating According to the Season

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:24 AM
Do you eat according to the season? Produce in season now in the UK:

Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Chicory, Kale, Leeks, Parsnips, Potatoes, Swede, Forced Rhubarb, Pears, Hare, Partridge, Pheasant, Venison, Walnuts, Seville Oranges, Turnips, Scallops, Blood Oranges, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Clams, Cockles, Clementines, Duck, Guinea Fowl, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, Jerusalem Artichokes, John Dory, Lemon Sole, Mussels, Oysters, Parsnips, Pomegranates, Satsuma, Shallots, Turbot.

I've eaten all those in blue this month. Not too bad I think. But where would I get hare? :unsure:

If you are in the UK, how many of the above have you eaten this month? If you are elsewhere, tell us
what is in season now where you are?

You would ask your local butcher to get a hare for you.
I've had most of the fruits and vegetables on your list but none of the fish or meat.

Note sure what is in season here as most of our produce doesn't change with the seasons. The exception being corn, cantaloupe and watermelon. Those are the summer foods.
But you have to consider that down here, many of our fruits and vegetables come from Mexico or very south Texas.

As per hare, I haven't had any since a friend's mom quit raising them.

Can you raise them domestically? I never heard of that.
I don't know about the UK, but where I live anyone can raise rabbits. Some pet stores even sell them. Especially around Easter.
Oh before you ask, I can tell you they are messy and a pain to raise. You have to watch mamas close with their babies or the mama may hurt the babies.
We had to use bitch milk on some of the babies.
We had rabbits as pets for a few years or off and on for a few years.

Last edited:
Australia is a bit weird regarding what's in season because it had such a varied climate from tropical, rain forest, desert, and UK climate just south of England style to much wetter down south into the Scottish climate etc. so just covering Australia gives a huge variety of things in season.

Right now in my garden I have main crop potatoes, tomatoes, leeks (touch early) onions, garlic, carrots, lettuce, fennel, beetroot, all herbs, beans, peas, courgettes and green chilies. to come are red chilies, aubergine, water melon, more of all above, butternut squash, kabocha squash, cucumber, to name a few.

I've just finished the sour cherries and need to see what the fruit trees in the bottom of the garden are (long grass so stimmer job).

Shops obviously have much more in season as we speak. locally at least it is the height of summer.

I don't know about the UK, but where I live anyone can raise rabbits. Some pet stores even sell them. Especially around Easter.
Oh before you ask, I can tell you they are messy and a pain to raise. You have to watch mamas close with their babies or the mama may hurt the babies.
Hares and rabbits are not the same in the UK. domestic rabbits are pets. Hares are generally a wild animal and hunted rather than raised in pens.

Rabbits yes. But hares?

Hares and rabbits are not the same in the UK. domestic rabbits are pets. Hares are generally a wild animal and hunted rather than raised in pens.

Rabbits (as food) in the UK are either wild rabbits which are shot as game or farmed. Hares are adifferent from rabbits (although of the same species) and as far as I'm aware aren't farmed.

Hares are much longer-limbed and swifter than rabbits. They use their powerful hind legs to escape predation by outrunning their enemies, and have been known to reach speeds of 72kph (45mph). Brown hares are widespread throughout central and western Europe, including most of the UK, where they were introduced by the Romans. Courtship involves boxing, and this well-known 'mad March hare' behaviour actually involves unreceptive females fending off passionate males.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/eating-the-season.8894/#post-66071

Last edited:
Rabbits yes. But hares?
It wouldn't matter, one could raise either here.
Our area doesn't have many hares but we do have rabbits and jackrabbits.
Most rabbits here are back yard raised for eating. There are a few people that hunt rabbits but squirrels are more common as a hunted animal.

Rabbits (as food) in the UK are either wild rabbits which are shot as game or farmed. Hares are adifferent from rabbits (although of the same species) and as far as I'm aware aren't farmed.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/eating-the-season.8894/#post-66071
I have had major issues with wild rabbits in the past in the UK knawing through anything and everything they could under my car (effectively parked in a field overnight). they wrote it off the road after 2 seasons of knawing. insurance refused to cover it and the garage had never seen anything like it. you name it, they had gone through it or are almost through, like the smell of fuel (petrol tank edge and fuel pipes) or the oil leak but not losing oil from the engine (gear box was automatic they had gone through that) plus anything electrical, handbrake cable, asb switches blown, towbar electrics... you get the idea.
They are nothing but a pest in the UK. farmers lose millions of £'s of crops to them every year. I sympathise.

Here I only have hares. rabbits are rare here thankfully and my car is parked not on grass but in a car port and it's a lot higher up so more difficult to knaw even if we did have them.

I have had major issues with wild rabbits in the past in the UK knawing through anything and everything they could under my car (effectively parked in a field overnight). they wrote it off the road after 2 seasons of knawing. insurance refused to cover it and the garage had never seen anything like it. you name it, they had gone through it or are almost through, like the smell of fuel (petrol tank edge and fuel pipes) or the oil leak but not losing oil from the engine (gear box was automatic they had gone through that) plus anything electrical, handbrake cable, asb switches blown, towbar electrics... you get the idea.
They are nothing but a pest in the UK. farmers lose millions of £'s of crops to them every year. I sympathise.

Here I only have hares. rabbits are rare here thankfully and my car is parked not on grass but in a car port and it's a lot higher up so more difficult to knaw even if we did have them.
Why would rabbits do that? No food to be had. It seems odd...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom