Eddo Root

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:01 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have ordered some Eddo root with my usual order of dates. I was need something to get the order over a certain amount and fancied something different.

So bearing in mind that I am effectively vegan (but I can veganise dishes myself where needed) does anyone have an dishes that they can recommend I try as a first foray into this vegetable?

I do know to use oil on my hands when cutting into the veg and that it has to be cooked, because it is poisonous in raw form.

They are used a lot in Caribbean cooking. I used to live next door to Ridley Road Market in London so I often bought them. I used to cook them like potatoes and use them virtually interchangeably. They are good mashed with a little nutmeg. They are sweeter than potatoes. I also remember cooking them as a curried dish as you would cook Jeera Aloo or Aloo Gobi. I'll hunt out my Caribbean cook books...

Not used them for years, I know them as taro we used to use them a fritter bhaji type of dish with chill and tumeric with stewed tomatoes
And we also did a terrine with them and sliced it under a duck dish , as you say they have nasty toxins raw , I would wear gloves as they can give you a rash, i

Back
Top Bottom