Recipe Egg 'bun'

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:44 AM
20180507_112930.jpg

This is a recipe inspired by an article in the Huffington post for a burger bun made from egg.

Beat the egg and add salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture into a small, round, flat bottomed container (I used a small Tupperware pot) and put in the freezer.
When ready, dip the frozen egg mixture in flour, beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (I used GF).
Heat 2-3 inches of in in a pan. When hot add the 'bun'. Turn down heat to medium-high and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over (spoon over some hot oil to the top if it is too wet to turn.). Cook for another 3 minutes.

This was delicious, but I think would be far too rich as a burger bun. It was lovely with a slice of toast for breakfast.

Last edited:
This was delicious, but I think would be far too rich as a burger bun. It was lovely with a slice of toast for breakfast.

Its a most unusual recipe - I am trying to imagine how it would be. I'll have to try it and photograph it if I can.

Ah - I see you have added a photo since I last looked. It does look as if its a snack in itself - I can't see why it is supposed to stand in for a bun! I have my egg in the freezer and will try this out tomorrow.

Sorry, forgot to add the photo before.

No, I don't get the bun thing either but it is certainly nice by itself.

I made this today - it all went wrong! The oil was far too hot so the coating got well cooked before the filling. I stupidly took it out and stabbed it with a sharp knife to see if the filling was cooked and then put it back in - result was egg spurting out into the frying oil. I hastily removed it and tried to finish cooking it in the microwave...

The concept is probably quite good and I added tarragon to the beaten egg which worked well. But getting the oil temperature right is obviously crucial.

fullsizeoutput_3417.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_341b.jpeg

The end result looks great. What did you think of it?

How did you find it? I'm curious now,lol.

Russ

It was rather nice - would have been better if the outside had been golden brown rather than dark. The middle was a little runny which I like - and the tarragon flavour was good.

If I could achieve a perfect curdy soft scrambled egg deep fried in breadcrumbs by using this method then it would be fantastic - but its more like an omelette and I was left thinking: why not simply cook a slightly runny omelette and then coat in egg and breadcrumbs and deep fry. Obviously it would be a different shape though.

I'm not sure if the centre of the 'bun' is meant to be more like scramble or more set egg. How did yours turn out inside, @Herbie?

...furthermore I struggle to understand why it is supposed to substitute for a bun. It would be far too rich to eat two of them with a burger in between.

Back
Top Bottom