Egg Noodles

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
12:09 AM
[Mod edit: The following posts were moved to form a new topic (TR)]

It’s cabbage, onion, mushrooms, and diced roast beef simmered in beef broth, with egg noodles stirred in.
Interesting you call those "egg noodles". They look like giant tagliatelle to me:D:D. If I had "egg noodles" it´d be exclusively with Chinese food.
Is the name a local thing, or another difference between US/UK English?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting you call those "egg noodles". They look like giant tagliatelle to me:D:D. If I had "egg noodles" it´d be exclusively with Chinese food.

The difference is that egg noodles always include eggs, while pasta sometimes does, and sometimes doesn't. The basic store bought egg noodles in the US are similar in size and shape to tagliatelle. I personally find the mouth feel to be different, with egg noodles having a more "slippery" feel.

CD

Agree with your evaluation there; if the pasta is made with eggs, it´s far more silky.
Perhaps I should re-phrase my question and ask : How do you define "noodles"?

Agree with your evaluation there; if the pasta is made with eggs, it´s far more silky.
Perhaps I should re-phrase my question and ask : How do you define "noodles"?

Noodles have a very broad meaning in the US. I'm not sure how to word it. I guess to Americans, noodles would tend to be long, as opposed to other pastas, like macaroni or penne.

CD

Here’s the package:

They’re extremely popular in this area (and elsewhere), and fit squarely in the comfort food category. Kroger carries probably 15 varieties of egg noodles.

If my wife isn’t feeling good, or is sad about something, she gets buttered egg noodles served over mashed potatoes, and she feels better instantly.

Fascinating. Sounds to me as if this etymology is probably the origin, although there´s no solid evidence. Given that the Germans and Dutch were among the early immigrants to the US, this would appear to fit:
"Noodles:Its early plural form noodlejees suggests a Dutch origin; from Dutch noedel (“noodle”)[1], from German Nudel (“piece of pasta, noodle”), of uncertain origin."

Yeah - in the UK the word 'noodles' means the thin noodles that are used in Asian dishes, popularised here by 'pot noodles' which used to be a student favourite. Boil the kettle and pour water into the pot and you are ready to eat.

1647030532022.png

Otherwise, we use the word 'pasta'.

Last edited:
Egg noodles here come in a bit of variety, from fine to medium, to wide and extra wide. There are some that aim to be more “homestyle,” like what I showed above, and some that look less homemade. It’s the noodle frequently used (in one shape or another) in chicken noodle soup.

Back
Top Bottom