Recipe Eggplant Raviolini Soup

Local time
8:51 PM
I've been seeing tons of recipes that call for cheese and even did a quick 'cheesy' ( my own recipe) thing with the eggplant I got from my mom recently. Then I stumbled on a soup and even though it calls for cheese at the end I could easily leave that out. Here goes:
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe...l-ray-30-minute-meals/eggplant-raviolini-soup
l_R180657.jpg

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1 eggplant, half of the skin peeled to make stripes and the flesh chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
  • 1 28 ouncecan crushed tomatoes
  • 1 pound raviolini (small, cheese-filled ravioli)
  • 1 cup sliced or torn basil leaves
  • Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
Directions
  1. In a medium soup pot, melt the butter with the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the eggplant and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the raviolini and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the basil.
  2. Serve the soup in bowls, topped with cheese.

Last edited:
Do you have any advice on how to do away with the slight bitter taste on some eggplants? Sometimes there are bland ones and most of the time I keep finding those with a bit of bitterness in them. I wonder if I should be soaking them or boiling them in water.

@Bakemehappy, I looked this up and apparently you can sprinkle the eggplant with salt and let sit for half hour or more and then rinse when ready to use. I have to say I had some yesterday and it wasn't bitter. I baked it and it was quite good. I suspect many love the slight bitterness and would not change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its good to see a soup in the competition. However, I don't think the eggplant could really be cooked until softened in 5 mins. Also, this recipe uses two 'ready-made' ingredients (chicken broth and raviolini). Sorry @winterybella, but I have to find some means of arriving at a shortlist!

Do you have any advice on how to do away with the slight bitter taste on some eggplants? Sometimes there are bland ones and most of the time I keep finding those with a bit of bitterness in them. I wonder if I should be soaking them or boiling them in water.

Bitterness in eggplant usually indicates age. Try to buy them smaller and fresher and you'll have less problems with bitterness. If you do encounter some that are bitter, you can add fresh lemon juice to them to counter it. Of course, I've never made an eggplant soup, but I like using lemon zest in just about everything so I would imagine the lemon effect would work for this recipe as well.

Its good to see a soup in the competition. However, I don't think the eggplant could really be cooked until softened in 5 mins. Also, this recipe uses two 'ready-made' ingredients (chicken broth and raviolini). Sorry @winterybella, but I have to find some means of arriving at a shortlist!

Many people make their own stock and their own pasta. If that happened, would her entry then qualify? Not that I have any idea of what you're talking about, lol. And I'm apparently very late to the discussion - I do make my own stock when I am cooking regularly though and usually have some in the freezer for when I need it. :happy:

Many people make their own stock and their own pasta. If that happened, would her entry then qualify? Not that I have any idea of what you're talking about, lol. And I'm apparently very late to the discussion - I do make my own stock when I am cooking regularly though and usually have some in the freezer for when I need it. :happy:
Well it might have 'qualified'. But the competition is a just a bit of fun and the judge has to make up their own criteria for choosing the winning recipe. There are no set criteria for the challenge - the judge just has to choose the recipe they like best. Another judge might not have the same criteria as me! :D

Bitterness in eggplant usually indicates age. Try to buy them smaller and fresher and you'll have less problems with bitterness. If you do encounter some that are bitter, you can add fresh lemon juice to them to counter it. Of course, I've never made an eggplant soup, but I like using lemon zest in just about everything so I would imagine the lemon effect would work for this recipe as well.
I think I will do that next time. I thought the bitterness is about the small seeds or letting the cut eggplant sit longer than usual thus letting the oxidation process set in. I think the lemon juice will be of great help too. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will do that next time. I thought the bitterness is about the small seeds or letting the cut eggplant sit longer than usual thus letting the oxidation process set in. I think the lemon juice will be of great help too. Thanks for the advice.

I think the older ones have more seeds as well. Some people put the cut eggplant in salted water to prevent bitterness. I've put it in water and cooked it without soaking as well and haven't found that soaking made a difference. I really think it has more to do with variety and age.

Back
Top Bottom