Recipe Eggplant rolls with pistachios

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
7:47 PM
Eggplant rolls with pistachios
eggp_f.png

Serves 4-5 | Preparation & cooking time 1,5 hours

These eggplant rolls are inspired by Georgian eggplant rolls; Nigvziani badrijani, which are filled with a paste made of walnuts, garlic, herbs (like cilantro and fenugreek), vinegar and water and garnished with pomegranate seeds. I added meat and substituted the walnuts with pistachios. Because of the meat I served these rolls as a hot main course instead of a hot/cold appetizer.

Eggplants
600-700 g (2 medium-sized) eggplants​
2-3 handfuls of finger salt/coarse salt to prepare/soak the eggplants (recommended in terms of silkier texture)​
4-5 tblsp ev olive oil​
A pinch of black pepper​

Preparation

Rinse and discard the stems of the eggplants and cut them into thin (0,8–1,0 cm) longitudinal slices. Lay the pieces on a piece of parchment paper, sprinkle the fruit with a generous amount of finger salt/coarse salt, let sit for 30-45 minutes (until clear droplets/dribbles appear on top), rinse well and pat dry before cooking. The salt removes excess moisture, breaks the plant cells and softens the texture. Present-day eggplants are seldom bitter but soaking removes the hypothetical bitterness as well.

Set the oven to +225°C (430°F/gas mark 7, no fan). Place the eggplant pieces on top of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Sprinkle black pepper on top, drizzle with olive oil and cook/baste in the oven for ~25 minutes or until nicely browned and partially crispened.

Ingredients / Filling
150 g peeled, unsalted pistachios -> ~300 ml when ground​
120-150 g (600-700 ml) mixed fresh herbs; e.g. oregano, parsley, dill and cilantro​
700 g (~730 ml) ground meat (beef, lamb or poultry; I used beef)​
2 tblsp ev olive oil​
7-9 cloves of garlic​
6-7 teaspoons white wine vinegar​
4 teaspoons dried cilantro (or 2-3 teaspoons dried coriander)​
2 teaspoons fenugreek (or 1,5 teaspoons turmeric)​
~2 teaspoons salt (to taste)​
~1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)​
200-250 ml hot water​
Seeds of 1 pomegranate to garnish​

Instructions

Prepare the filling while the eggplants are soaking and cooking.

Mince the garlic. Brown the minced meat on a skillet/frying pan on high heat in olive oil (10-15 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more and set aside. Rinse and chop the herbs. Grind the pistachios in a mixer, blender or mortar. Mix the herbs, pistachios, white wine vinegar, dried coriander, fenugreek, cayenne pepper and salt to taste with the lukewarm meat and garlic. Add hot water until the mixture is moist but not wet.

Line a rectangular oven dish with parchment paper. Place a generous amount of filling on top of the cooked eggplant pieces. Form rolls by turning the edges on top and flipping the bundles. Place the rolls next to each other in rows and tuck the rest of the filling in between. Warm the rolls in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Roll and press the pomegranate gently on the floor or between your hands to loosen the seeds. Halve the fruit and tap the bottoms of the halves with a wooden spatula to drop/release the seeds. Garnish the rolls with pomegranate seeds and serve them steaming hot.

eggp_a.png

eggp_b.png

eggp_c.png

eggp_e.png

Last edited:
Eggplant Rolls With Pistachios
View attachment 53936
Serves 4-5 | Preparation & cooking time 1,5 hours

These eggplant rolls are inspired by Georgian eggplant rolls; Nigvziani badrijani, which are filled with a paste made of walnuts, garlic, herbs (like cilantro and fenugreek), vinegar and water and garnished with pomegranate seeds. I added meat and substituted the walnuts with pistachios. Because of the meat I served these rolls as a hot main course instead of a hot/cold appetizer.

Eggplants
600-700 g (2 medium-sized fruit) eggplants​
2-3 handfuls of finger salt/coarse salt to prepare/soak the eggplants (recommended in terms of silkier texture)​
4-5 tblsp ev olive oil​
A pinch of black pepper​

Preparation

Rinse and discard the stems of the eggplants and cut them into thin (0,8–1,0 cm) longitudinal slices. Lay the pieces on a piece of parchment paper, sprinkle the fruit with a generous amount of finger salt/coarse salt, let sit for 30-45 minutes (until clear droplets/dribbles appear on top), rinse well and pat dry before cooking. The salt removes excess moisture, breaks the plant cells and softens the texture. Present-day eggplants are seldom bitter but soaking removes the hypothetical bitterness as well.

Set the oven to +225°C (430°F/gas mark 7, no fan). Place the eggplant pieces on top of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Sprinkle black pepper on top, drizzle with olive oil and cook/baste in the oven for ~25 minutes or until nicely browned and partially crispened.

Ingredients / Filling
150 g peeled, unsalted pistachios -> ~300 ml when ground​
120-150 g (600-700 ml) mixed fresh herbs; e.g. oregano, parsley, dill and cilantro​
700 g (~730 ml) ground meat (beef, lamb or poultry; I used beef)​
2 tblsp ev olive oil​
7-9 cloves of garlic​
6-7 teaspoons white wine vinegar​
4 teaspoons dried cilantro (or 2-3 teaspoons dried coriander)​
2 teaspoons fenugreek (or 1,5 teaspoons turmeric)​
~2 teaspoons salt (to taste)​
~1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)​
200-250 ml hot water​
Seeds of 1 pomegranate to garnish​

Instructions

Prepare the filling while the eggplants are soaking and cooking.

Mince the garlic. Brown the minced meat on a skillet/frying pan on high heat in olive oil (10-15 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more and set aside. Rinse and chop the herbs. Grind the pistachios in a mixer, blender or mortar. Mix the herbs, pistachios, white wine vinegar, dried coriander, fenugreek, cayenne pepper and salt to taste with the lukewarm meat and garlic. Add hot water until the mixture is moist but not wet.

Line a rectangular oven dish with parchment paper. Place a generous amount of filling on top of the cooked eggplant pieces. Form rolls by turning the edges on top and flipping the bundles. Place the rolls next to each other in rows and tuck the rest of the filling in between. Warm the rolls in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Roll and press the pomegranate gently on the floor or between your hands to loosen the seeds. Halve the fruit and tap the bottoms of the halves with a wooden spatula to drop/release the seeds. Garnish the rolls with pomegranate seeds and serve them steaming hot.

View attachment 53939

View attachment 53940

View attachment 53941

View attachment 53942

That's an interesting combination!

You stole my idea but it doesn't matter. Aubergine arriving tomorrow. Mine will be meat free....as of now. :D
It seems that we're telepathically connected :happy: - and I have an absorbing magnet in my brain :wacky:, stealing all your ideas like a spiritual parasite. Not.
dar.gif

Seriously, there are a limited amount of possibilities when it comes to cooking with specific ingredients. Your recipes and pics are always a joy to see and explore, Morning Glory. (And you know that very well yourself, you epicurean magician :wink:). I'm waiting eagerly for your entry.

That's an interesting combination!
I was a bit concerned about mixing pistachios with meat but the end result was quite pleasant and well-rounded. The whole family enjoyed the meal (kids are still here spending their Christmas vacation). The cilantro didn't yield a soapy aftertaste, the dill, fenugreek, rest of the herbs or the plentiful garlic didn't push through, the pistachios didn't remind us of ice cream (pistachio is one of our favorite flavors) and the eggplant was smooth and tasty. The only drawback was a bit too much of salt. I didn't realize that the eggplant soaking salt stuck rather keenly despite rinsing, so I shouldn't have used heaped teaspoons of salt in the filling. The pomegranate seeds worked well as a subtle palate cleaner and freshener - not only as a decorative garnish. No wonder they're an essential part of the original Georgian walnut paste recipe.

Seriously, there are a limited amount of possibilities when it comes to cooking with specific ingredients. Your recipes and pics are always a joy to see and explore, Morning Glory. (And you know that very well yourself, you epicurean magician :wink:). I'm waiting eagerly for your entry.

You are too kind. You know, I think, that I also find your recipes an inspiration. They very often surprise me with the flavour combinations. I absolutely see that pomegranate working, even though I'm not really a fan of pomegranate seeds.

But - here is a thing. For the first time in 5 years I'm on a cooking low. I usually make loads of entries for the challenge and have pages of notes and ideas but in the last round I was struggling to motivate myself to cook anything. I think I'm recovering but I'm certainly not on top form at the moment.

You are too kind. You know, I think, that I also find your recipes an inspiration. They very often surprise me with the flavour combinations. I absolutely see that pomegranate working, even though I'm not really a fan of pomegranate seeds.

But - here is a thing. For the first time in 5 years I'm on a cooking low. I usually make loads of entries for the challenge and have pages of notes and ideas but in the last round I was struggling to motivate myself to cook anything. I think I'm recovering but I'm certainly not on top form at the moment.
I'm struggling with the current challenge as well (and tired of the Christmas fuss and cooking).

I'm sure you'll come up with several ideas later on; you have to take care of your husband and work with this site as well. I'm sure no-one expects you to shoot recipes on a daily basis. Btw, what about your daughter and her lump. Is the neck thing all sorted out?

Reactions: mjd
Not married... don't believe in it.

Thanks for remembering. :) My daughter has had an ultrasound and is awaiting result. The consultant she saw thinks its probably a nodule/cyst. Fingers crossed...
Sorry, partner/life-companion, not a (tied-with-a-piece-of-paper) husband. Good to hear that your daughter's nodule is probably just a job for Dr. Pimple Popper.

Sorry, partner/life-companion, not a (tied-with-a-piece-of-paper) husband. Good to hear that your daughter's nodule is probably just a job for Dr. Pimple Popper.

If it is a nodule its on the thyroid so a bit tricky if it grows any more, benign or not.

If it is a nodule its on the thyroid so a bit tricky if it grows any more, benign or not.
Yes, that's true - and I don't want to sound unconcerned. It's just that "Dr Pimple Popper" runs currently on Finnish TV - and this US based doctor deals with all kinds of nodules and lumps. It's better to see what the examination reveals and listen to the doctor. Gladly even most thyroidal nodules are benign (if this case turns out to have a thyroidal connection) and can be treated either surgically or with low-magnitude radiation and/or medication. My BF underwent radioactive thyroid treatment. After finding a balanced dose of medication, she hardly has to think about her thyroidal problems anymore.

Pistachios..., although they're botanically edible seeds like almonds, contain many of the same allergens as "actual" tree nuts which are considered as fruits. Botanically what we call "nuts" are classified as real nuts/fruit (e.g. hazelnuts, chestnuts and acorns), drupes/seeds (e.g. walnuts, almonds, pecans and pistachios) and legumes (peanuts). Unfortunately most people who are allergic to nuts get symptoms from almonds and pistachios too.

I'm on my way adding a pistachio curry recipe/entry.

Are you sure you are allergic to them? They are technically not nuts.
Well, I don't have a life threatening issue with them but let's put it this way: I get totally and painfully cleaned out with practically no notice if I have more than two or three of them. Same issue with pine nuts (although them being a bit smaller I can eat a couple more of them if I can't kick them all out of a salad). Not worth it.

I simply prefer not to eat either these days. Pain, and trying to find a potty near-instantaneously if I'm not home - Whatever they are.

Curious, why are they not "considered" nuts?

Back
Top Bottom