Eiswein

Never tried it (don't have sweet tooth really) but its interesting to read how its made - which is quite different from other wines:

https://www.decanter.com/learn/ice-wine-46322/
It's an interesting read. I like this part:

‘Harvest often takes place overnight at a time of year when the vineyards are usually blanketed in a thick layer of snow.

‘Such conditions must create additional peril for those picking grapes on the already dangerously steep slopes of the Mosel, yet harvesting casualties are luckily rare.’

:eek:

I have tried it at a wine tasting and it is lovely.
We quite like sweet desert wines though we rarely have them with desert. I personally don't like the pairing of sweet wine with sweet food....its too much sweetness for me. Generally we'll have sweet wines chilled as an aperitif.
We bought a bottle of Monbazillac (a French desert wine) back from our holiday last year which we had with some foie gras and they went really well together.

‘Such conditions must create additional peril for those picking grapes on the already dangerously steep slopes of the Mosel, yet harvesting casualties are luckily rare.’
Yes a lot of the vineyards along the Mosel are incredibly steep - I think I read somewhere that the steepest one is on a 65 degrees slope. A lot of them have a miniature rack/cog railways to assist with the management and harvesting.

Back
Top Bottom