Electric Carving Knife

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:32 PM
What can be done with an Electric Carving Knife? Does it make sense to own one?

Here's mine. It can be used for lots of things, like for carving turkeys hams, cold cuts, etc. :whistling:

I don't really understand why there is a need for them. I've never owned one so can't really comment but I imagine they are a Godsend if you have arthritis or other conditions which impair use of your hands.

Yep, we have one, dated about 1962.

It's great for slicing bread, and it yields a smoother cut surface than a manual bread knife provides. I also use it for trimming and cutting up tea sandwiches. It flies through those.

I've also used it to peel and cut up a pineapple. I think I carved a turkey with it once, maybe. Mainly, it's for bread around here.

Yep, we have one, dated about 1962.

It's great for slicing bread, and it yields a smoother cut surface than a manual bread knife provides. I also use it for trimming and cutting up tea sandwiches. It flies through those.

I've also used it to peel and cut up a pineapple. I think I carved a turkey with it once, maybe. Mainly, it's for bread around here.
I've been thinking for a while of getting one to cut bread a bit more easily. But ideally I want a cordless one - and there don't seem to be (m)any on the market in the UK.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for a while of getting one to cut bread a bit more easily. But ideally I want a cordless one - and there don't seem to be (m)any on the market in the UK.

A lot of the cordless electric knives are fillet knives.

Here's one of the best compact electric carving knives I found ....

Cuisinart Cordless Electric Knife

It's expensive. $99.95 US. But I may opt for it.

Once I was dining out with friends I complained of how I struggled to slice bread properly, so they got me an electric knife for Christmas. When I saw the package I thought it was a copy of Cards Against Humanity and I was so excited, and had to cover my disappointment when I actually opened the gift. I have never used the knife because I think one of the blades doesn't fit properly and anyways the sound of it working kinda of scares me a bit. The one I got comes with two blades that fit closely together but I haven't figured out if I can use it just with one blade or not. Anyway if it wasn't a gift from friends I think I would have traded it for something else.

Here's mine. It can be used for lots of things, like for carving turkeys hams, cold cuts, etc. :whistling:

It's interesting that you claim to use it for Cold Cuts. How accurate can you get with an Electric Knife to thin cut Cold Cuts?

Once I was dining out with friends I complained of how I struggled to slice bread properly, so they got me an electric knife for Christmas. When I saw the package I thought it was a copy of Cards Against Humanity and I was so excited, and had to cover my disappointment when I actually opened the gift. I have never used the knife because I think one of the blades doesn't fit properly and anyways the sound of it working kinda of scares me a bit. The one I got comes with two blades that fit closely together but I haven't figured out if I can use it just with one blade or not. Anyway if it wasn't a gift from friends I think I would have traded it for something else.
Mine works with two blades that mate up. I don't know how well it'd work with one, but I imagine pretty poorly. :)

A lot of people have issues with cutting straight bread slices. If you poke around on the 'net, you'll find the same two tips over and over:

1. Put the bread on it's side and slice it (meaning it's a rectangular loaf)
2. Get an electric knife

Something about the speed of the knife makes it less likely you'll mess it up.

I think the reason electric knives work well for bread is because the two blades work in opposite directions so the bread itself doesn't move around so much and tear.

I was looking at the Cuisinart knife earlier, but it doesn't seem to be available in Europe :thumbsdown:

Waring makes one too. It's bigger and bulkier. Doesn't Amazon.com ship to Europe? They carry the Cuisinart Cordless.

Waring makes one too. It's bigger and bulkier. Doesn't Amazon.com ship to Europe? They carry the Cuisinart Cordless.
We have Amazon over here of course, but US appliances don't usually work over here due to the different voltage you guys use, so it's not generally a good idea to import them.

Back
Top Bottom