Electric kettle or whistling kettle?

Local time
1:07 PM
Which kettle is best, the electric type or the one which whistles? I have been using a whistling kettle for many years now. We once had a kettle which did not whistle and so we were never aware when the water was boiling except we were in the kitchen and happened to see the steam coming out. Thus, there were times when a lot of the water would have boiled out without our knowledge. Subsequently, we decided for opt for a whistling kettle so that we would always hear when the water was boiling even if no-one was in the vicinity of the kitchen at the time.

Recently, we went to a country house on a little vacation, and the house was equipped with an electric kettle...no whistling kettle. After a few days I got to liking the electric kettle since I found that the water tended to boil more quickly in that type of kettle than in the other kettles we owned before.

What type of kettle do you use?

Electric - which I personally prefer for speed too - although I often set-up a coffee for me and my wife and then get busy doing something and forget to actually make them. I suppose if we had a kettle that whistled it would solve that problem. :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, do you live in a house with no electricity or do you just not have any in the kitchen?

I do have electricity all over the house, but have just never considered buying an electric kettle until I came across the one in the country house where we stayed recently. That was when I noticed how quickly these kettles boil water in comparison to the other kettles. However, the whistling kettle still has its advantages so I may continue using that for a while yet.

I'm afraid I haven't touched a kettle for... well, a very long time. :giggle: When I did have one in another lifetime, it was of the whistling variety but even back then I found that I rarely used it.

Bottom line is that I got lazy and it became much more convenient to boil water in the nuker after a minute or two than using the energy (whether gas or electric) to bring it to a boil on the stove.

I'm afraid I haven't touched a kettle for... well, a very long time. :giggle: When I did have one in another lifetime, it was of the whistling variety but even back then I found that I rarely used it.

Bottom line is that I got lazy and it became much more convenient to boil water in the nuker after a minute or two than using the energy (whether gas or electric) to bring it to a boil on the stove.

You boil water using your microwave? Doesn't it taste funny? I can't stand a coffee that has been warmed back up in the microwave ... does it taste like that?

I prefer an electric kettle. I don't think a whistling kettle boils the water hot enough for coffee or tea. Also, I have had a couple of whistling kettles, and Mr WD has put the kettle onto the cooker and then walked away and forgot about it. When its been discovered its either boiled dry, or has warped the bottom of the kettle which makea it no longer useable.

You boil water using your microwave? Doesn't it taste funny? I can't stand a coffee that has been warmed back up in the microwave ... does it taste like that?

Well I don't know what the rest here are talking about, but I was talking about a TEA kettle for tea. Hot water to put the tea into... which is what a kettle is generally used for, not coffee. My coffee is Keurig, one cup at a time... no need to reheat. I believe the OP was asking about making water hot for tea. (or maybe instant coffee, which also would be one cup at a time and not reheated.)

I'm not understanding what you mean by boiling water tasting funny in the microwave... it's just boiling water.

I am intending to buy a whistling kettle. Since my electric kettle stopped working I've been using a saucepan to boil water. I find that it comes to the boil faster in a pan than when I used an electric kettle. It's also better because it just uses a little gas rather than electricity, so it costs less and is better for the environment.

Chef's ChoiceElectric Water Kettle..jpg

I got THIS one (above). had a glass whistling tea kettle, but lost it! :(

I love electric kettles. I've replaced our whistle pot and thermos with it and I think it's way more convenient. There really is not much downside to it since it boils water very fast and you could just put in how much you'd really need. I don't think I'd ever return to the old ways now that I've been spoiled by electric kettles.

Electric kettle, at 5.30 in the morning I want something that will boil quickly for my early morning brew.

I'm not understanding what you mean by boiling water tasting funny in the microwave... it's just boiling water.

Take a cup of instant coffee and let it go lukewarn or cold. Now pop it in the microwave to heat it up. Then taste it ... YUK!!

I just wondered if boiling water had any unusual aftertaste when heated in the microwave or whether it's just the coffee that makes it go yukky :)

I sometimes heat a cup of water in the microwave for hot chocolate or instant coffee. But if the water is too hot, then there is a chemical reaction between the instant coffee and the hot water, causing it to boil over when the coffee is added to it!! :eek:

I had a whistling kettle for many years. I always liked the looks of them and grew up with one so as cheesy as it sounds I like having one because it makes me think of home. I recently threw out my whistling kettle and picked up a cheap electric one for the interim. I don't mind the electric kettle and think it does just as good of a job as the whistling in terms of bringing the water to a boil. Because I like the look of a whistling kettle and the nostalgia factor I will not use an electric kettle much longer but I think they each do a great job and can't find any significant differences between the two.

Back
Top Bottom