Elizabeth David

alexander

Über Member
Local time
10:42 AM
Anyone else here a fan of Elizabeth David? My Mum who is a great cook had several of her books and I've since bought copies for myself. I love French food and she wrote quite a lot about that. I saw this news item about her which reminded me because I was only a baby when Spices Salt and Aromatics was published. I think there was a film about her but I haven't seen it.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/10/jeremy-lee-cooks-cook-elizabeth-david

Last edited:
Anyone else here a fan of Elizabeth David

Yes @alexander I am too. Any of her books are worth acquiring - full of sound advice and worthwhile suggestions. As @morning glory says above, they're well-written books - and they don't date either.

Her "English Bread And Yeast Cookery" book is my most-referred to cookery book - fascinating historical information along with a wealth of recipes across the bread-making spectrum.

Totally agree with the above comments. Her French Provincial Cooking is one of my favourite reads, probably more for the narrative than the recipes. Constance Spry is of a similar vein.

Back
Top Bottom