Embarrassing clothes

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:42 PM
Awaiting permission to post...........

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

Following on from TastyReuben's thread "What are you wearing today?", what have you worn in the past that would cause you embarrassment today?

1). In '70 I converted reasonably tight denims into flares by cutting up the side seam and lacing the cuts back up again with string. Those and a jacket made from a sheepskin that I obtained from Leeds abattoir that still stunk of dead sheep!

2). In a disco in Leicester ('79) I was wearing boots with 3" high "Cuban" heels. I got caught out in the anti-room on the way to the toilet where some dinlo had thrown up. I must have looked like Bambi trying to "skate" my way to the door of the toilet. I managed it but there was a guy already in there who hadn't.

3). I was refused entry to a disco in Aberdeen in '75 because I was wearing two colour trainers. The Project Manager had some work books in his car but they were size 8 and I was size 11. They let me in but it was very uncomfortable and I looked a right wally!

4). Back in late '73 I moved from Scunthorpe to spend an indeterminate length of time in Head Office on The Wirral. After a few days my Senior Manager advised me that it was customary to wear a tie in Head Office. The next day I bought four massive brightly coloured kipper ties denoting American cartoon characters. After three more days he said that I needn't bother wearing ties in future.

5). Back in '78 we were temporarily accommodated in a 4 star hotel in Roborough, just to the north of Plymouth. One Saturday night the bar staff advised us that they were closing the bar at 23.00 because the staff were required to work at the ballroom bar where a private celebration formal dance was being hosted. We were still in our work gear* (20:00 was a normal finishing time on that job) but we gatecrashed the dance anyway. Nothing was said initially but when one of the guys suggested that we find some dancing partners, everything went to ratshit.

[*Wellies, jeans and donkey jackets tied with string]

Perhaps not embarrassing in 1953, but going to Folkestone beach in a suit and tie would be pushing it these days:

Me & Grandad 1953.jpg

I remember my grandad wearing a shirt and tie every day regardless of whether it was a working day, doing diy or gardening wearing exactly the same garb but with those elastic arm garters holding his sleeves up!

Now I take the same things with me in my handbag if I know I’m eating out somewhere nice as if there’s a chance my sleeves will end up in the moule juices I’d rather use them 😂

I remember my grandad wearing a shirt and tie every day regardless of whether it was a working day, doing diy or gardening wearing exactly the same garb but with those elastic arm garters holding his sleeves up!
That’s one thing I like about old movies, and even some British TV shows right up through the ‘70’s - people going about everyday activities in suits, ties, and “nice” outfits.

Even guys portrayed as dodgy bums picking cigarette butts out of the trash would have a suit on, and other people would say, “Shove off, ya filthy bum!” and I’d think, “Why’s that destitute ne’er-do-well dressed better than everyone I know?” :laugh:

Oh my goodness. So much. My fashion sense has never been great, but I especially wore some…interesting clothing in high school.

I was recently chatting with a group of people much younger than me - one mentioned that 90s and early 2000s fashion is coming back. She asked me if I had ever worn a long sleeved shirt with a t-shirt over top, and I said “only ALL THE TIME in high school”. They thought it was hilarious, it was just how we dressed back then!

In the 80s it was blazers with t-shirts and jeans for me, and I don't think it looked ridiculous. I knew girls who dressed like Iike Maddona. Lace, bows, boots, and bracelets, silly look.
images.jpeg-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom